Avast there! Welcome to ARRRRR weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park treasures around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
- Ye come seeking adventure and salty old pirates, eh? It is, arguably, the greatest dark ride ever created (Yeah Spider-Man... I said it). It appears in five of the six Disney castle parks around the world. It has spawned a movie franchise that's about to release its fifth installment and has made Captain Jack Sparrow a household name. This weekend, Disneyland will celebrate 50 years of Pirates of the Caribbean with some special fun. Opening on March 18, 1967, this classic attraction was one of the last ones personally overseen by Walt Disney. A pirate's plunder of limited-edition merchandise will be released and special entertainment will be on hand throughout New Orleans Square. Special pirate-themed food and beverages will be available, such as Golden Churros, Lemon Beignets and a special Jolly Roger Punch. Drink up me 'earties yo ho!
- If you're sill searching for some Orlando St. Patrick's Day fun, swing on down to Pat O' Briens at Universal Orlando CityWalk . Get in touch with your Irish side with Irish food, dueling pianos, and special green drinks such as the Fuzzy Leprechaun and Pat O's Rainstorm.
- Rejoice, doughnut lovers! Portland's legendary Voodoo Doughnuts have arrived at Universal CityWalk in Hollywood. Famous for its creative flavors, filling, designs and pink boxes, Voodoo Doughnuts is definitely worth checking out. I recommend the Bacon Maple Bar, Grape Ape and Arnold Palmer.
- CUTE ANIMAL PICTURES ALERT. Newly arrived otter triplets born at Disney's Animal Kingdom have names. The link also has a cute video, so there goes your work day.
- The Force is strong at LEGOLAND California. Scenes and characters from Star Wars: The Force Awakens have arrived. Adding onto the already-popular LEGO Star Wars Miniland Model Display, guests can find Rey, BB-8, Kylo Ren and Finn sprinkled throughout these new displays.
- In ALL MY MONEY GOES TO WALT news: The Dress Shop at Disney Springs will soon open, selling vintage-inspired Disney dresses and accessories for ladies. Tower of Terror, Enchanted Tiki Room and Florida Orange Bird are just a few of the designs that will be available. Selected items will hit the West Coast at Downtown Disney in Anaheim at Vault 28. The Dress Shop will open at the Co-Op Marketplace on March 31.
- What's cooler than the soon-to-open LEGOLAND Beach Resort at LEGOLAND Florida? Checking into the hotel from your car. I'm sure this resort, which opens April 7, will be just as cool if you're dropped off by friends or simply walk in.
- Dole. Whip. Cotton. Candy. The tiki gods really like us!
- With Universal's Volcano Bay set to make a—splash—on the water park scene, the Orlando Sentinel looks at how this new park will affect others around the area.
- Are interactive robots in the future for Disney Parks? Disney revealed a Pascal—from Tangled—robot during a panel at the South By Southwest festival. With audio-animatronic figures becoming more lifelike (hello Elsa in Frozen Ever After) it seems like interactive figures are the next step.
- Finally, the Star Wars-themed lands now under construction at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will feature AT-AT Walkers! *Passes out*
That be it for the theme park news this week. You best be having a great weekend!
*Ends pirate speak*