Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Lords and ladies, I bringest thou news from the far away kingdom of LEGOLAND California. LEGO builders of all ages can look forward to the Castle Hotel coming in 2018. This week the actual builders broke ground on the LEGOLAND California Castle Hotel, which will feature 250 themed rooms, including 20 suites, and be separated into three themed floors—Knights, Princesses or Wizards. Huzzah!
- We're hopping down to A Celebration of Harry Potter next weekend at the Universal Orlando Resort. My Mommy Frog heart skipped a beat when I learned that Jason Isaacs (Lucious Malfoy to some of you) will be joining Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), Warwick Davis (Professor Flitwick and Griphook) and Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) for Q&A sessions. Check out our preview post to learn more!
- If you're headed to Lunar New Year festival at Disney California Adventure—go with an empty stomach. The Disney Parks Blog posted a foodie guide to all of the delicious food and beverages available at the festival. We're looking forward to the Kimchi Bokkeumbap and Ca Phe Da—Vietnamese iced coffee. Brush up on what other delights you'll find at Lunar New Year at Disney California Adventure with our preview post.
- If one of your goals is to eat a breakfast hot dog on Main Street U.S.A., you're in luck. New breakfast items have been introduced at the Magic Kingdom. There's a donut sundae at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, which looks tempting. Casey's Corner will serve muffins, bagels, a croissant-donut and a (drum roll) hash brown dog. (Leap's Note - "Here, take my money!")
- Last week, Universal Studios Florida announced that Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon would open April 6. We also learned that the ride would have a virtual queue. Earlier this week, Universal Orlando tested the app-based system on Despicable Me Minion Mayhem. The test offered visitors digital return times, much like Disney's Fastpass.
- If you're counting down the seconds until The Main Street Electrical Parade returns to Disneyland, check out The Orange County Register's story about the origins of the parade's memorable "Baroque Hoedown."
- The Characters in Flight balloon at Disney Springs received its new design. The design better fits the World's Fair theme of Disney Springs.
- The Sea World Seven Seas Food Festival released its concert lineup. Highlights among the 14 live acts scheduled to play are The Commodores, Styx, Phillip Phillips and Leonard Skynard. FREEBIRD! Sorry. Habit.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!