Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- Cinderella Castle is getting a magical makeover! Magic Kingdom Park's iconic castle will receive some enchanting enhancements through summer 2020, including fresh paint and shimmer. (She'll be the belle of the ball for Walt Disney World's upcoming 50th anniversary celebration, after all!) If you've got a vacation planned to the Most Magical Place on Earth over the next few months, don't worry! The castle will not be covered while the improvements are made, and shows such as "Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire" and "Happily Ever After" will continue as usual. (Cinderella's Royal Table and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique will stay open, as well.) What do you think of the castle's proposed new look?
- We are toadally excited to take a fantastic road trip in the brand-new PIXAR film, "Onward!" If you are, too, we have some epic news! Barley and Ian will be available for meet and greets at Disneyland Resort beginning March 5 at Disneyland After Dark: PIXAR Nite. Once the film hits theaters March 6, you can catch the duo daily at Pixar Pier at Disney California Adventure Park.
- Calling all Super Heroes! Disney is recruiting a few marvel-ous stuntmen (and women!) to perform in a live rooftop show in Avengers Campus, opening this summer at Disney California Adventure Park. The stunt show will feature Spider-Man, Captain America, Black Panther and Black Widow fighting a villain above the heads of onlookers. (Tad, you better start your super training now!)
- Regal Eagle Smokehouse: Craft Drafts & Barbecue is now open at Epcot! The barbecue joint in the American Adventure pavilion offers up smokehouse faves such as Kansas City smoked chicken, Memphis dry-rub pork ribs, North Carolina chopped smoked pork butt and Texas brisket sandwiches. There are also some plant-based options on the menu, including the Power Greens Salad and the BBQ Jackfruit Burger. Drool.
- The Walking Dead attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood will close its doors March 4, 2020. But much like the walkers roaming its halls, the attraction will rise again as a maze for Halloween Horror Nights this fall. As the park preps for the arrival of The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash! attraction March 27, the area will become known as Pets Place. RIP!
- A sampling of the merchandise available at the 2020 Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival has been released, and it is delightful! Guests can take their pick of a festival spirit jersey, Mickey ears with an adorable chef hat (pictured above), T-shirts, tumblers and kitchenware when the festival kicks off Feb. 28, 2020. Will you be bringing any of the festival merch home with you?
- The "Today" show is heading to Universal Orlando Resort! The NBC morning show will be broadcasting live from Universal Studios Florida on Feb. 28 with the entire anchor team at TODAY Cafe and a performance from Little Big Town. (Pssst ... If you're a Universal Orlando annual passholder, you have the opportunity to see the taping live! How cool!)
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.