Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
This week’s theme park highlights:
- Disney CEO Bob Iger shared more details about Disney's global plans to incorporate Star Wars into its parks during a Variety interview earlier this week, saying the main attractions would be based off the new sequels and spinoffs, such as J.J. Abrams' upcoming "The Force Awakens," rather than the original films. Theme Park Insider has more details about the plans and what it might mean for Disney's Hollywood Studios. We'd love to hear your thoughts about Star Wars at Disney's Hollywood Studios or any of the parks! Share in comments below!
- Universal's CityWalk has officially completed its expansion with the opening of The CowFish, a chain known for its sushi burger bar. You'll find plenty of "Burgushi" — that's a fusion of burger and sushi — across the menu.
- Disney has released details and renderings of Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, part of Disney Vacation Club and located at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort. Guests would be able to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks across the Seven Seas Lagooon from their on-the-water bungalows, which sleep eight. The deluxe studios would sleep up to five and have the ability to connect to another studio. The first phase of the project is scheduled to open in 2015!
- Starting today, big changes are afoot for Disneyland guests wanting prime viewing spots of Fantasmic! The popular Frontierland show traditionally sees guests staking out the best viewing locations hours in advance, which is no longer possible. Guests can now snag a limited number of free Fastpasses near Big Thunder Trail or they can get into the Fastpass viewing area by purchasing meals or a dessert sampler at four Disneyland restaurants. While camping out for spots is no longer possible, guests without Fastpasses can start lining up 90 minutes ahead of time for other viewing locations.
- The holidays have arrived at Disneyland Paris, and the decorations are spectacular! Check out the photos from the Disneyland Paris Resort Christmas Parade. Wish we there to see Goofy and the dancing toy soldiers up close! Maybe next year ;)
- Alas, for those of you who can't make it that far, Epcot has brought a bit of Paris a little closer to home with its Eiffel Tower display, one of the many touches of Christmas you can spot throughout the park!
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.