Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks. This week is a huge week for Disney, so we're focusing solely on what's going on in its parks!
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Disneyland's Diamond Celebration that marks the resort's 60th anniversary begins today at 6 a.m. with a 24-hour event at Disneyland Park. There will be so much to see, including the brand-new Paint the Night Parade, "Disneyland Forever," and "World of Color — Celebrate!" Are you as excited as we are about the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration and new entertainment? Let us know if you'll be visiting this summer!
- The new digital projection mapping, pyrotechnic show "Disneyland Forever" officially opens tonight at Disneyland Park. We've been so curious about this new fireworks extravaganza that is really so much more than that, and luckily Disney has given us a behind-the-scenes look at what's involved in producing the show.
- While "World of Color — Celebrate!" officially debuts tonight at Disney California Adventure, the media got a sneak peek earlier this week. The show's hosts, big-time Disney fan Neil Patrick Harris and Mickey Mouse, were there too!
- Olaf, Kristoff, Elsa, Anna and a whole host of characters were on hand this morning for the kickoff of the "Coolest Summer Ever" 24-hour event at Magic Kingdom. Those of you at home can check in on the hoopla from this live feed from the park! Be sure to tune in for Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade at 3 p.m., “Celebrate the Magic” at 8:45 p.m. and 10:45 p.m., “Wishes” fireworks at 9 p.m. and the Main Street Electrical Parade at 11 p.m. and 1 a.m.
- The Disney Parks Blog unveiled more enhancements for Cinderella Castle this week. Turrets have been added to Cinderella Castle, extending the regal look of this icon.
- Grizzly Peak Airfield, an expansion of the Grizzly Peak area inside Disney California Adventure, officially opened this week. The area, themed around the High Sierras of the late 1950s and '60s, includes the brand-new Smokejumpers Grill and the reopened Soarin' Over California.
- Last but not least, Disneyland's Diamond Days kicks off today, with your chance to win a 2-carat blue diamond and a Disneyland Resort vacation package. Guests actually at the resort also have the chance to win daily prizes, including a tour of the parks with preferred access to select attractions plus dining and VIP viewing of some of the new nighttime entertainment.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.