Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Disney confirmed this week that it is adding another theater to Soarin' in Epcot and more midway track at Toy Story Mania! at Disney's Hollywood Studios. We frogs couldn't be more excited for the expansions, because they will mean lower wait times for everyone at two of the most popular rides in all of Disney World! Additionally, imagineers will be updating the screens and projection system at Soarin', for an even more spectacular experience. At this time, no closures have been announced for the rides during the expansion process. According to the Orlando Sentinel, the work is expected to be completed by the end of 2016.
- Halloween Horror Nights will be back for a record number of nights at Universal Orlando in 2015, starting Sept. 18 and running on select nights through Nov. 1. Leap added them to the Crowd Calendar, so that officially means it's time to start planning as this is one of the biggest and best special events of the year!
- In anticipation of the new live-action film "Cinderella," the pastry team at Disney's Contemporary Resort has created this confectionary delight! The vanilla cupcake is filled with vanilla icing and buttercream, and is adorned with a white chocolate slipper and sugary pumpkin. It's topped with a sprinkle of "fairy dust," of course! The cupcake will be available through March 31.
- SeaWorld Orlando annual passholders were invited to preview segments of the all-new Clyde and Seamore show, set to debut in April. Those wacky sea lions are going back to school in "Clyde and Seamore 's Sea Lion High," and we can't wait!
- In celebration of its 60th anniversary, Disneyland is taking a look back in time at the last six decades of the resort's history with a new art collection. New art themed to each decade will debut almost every 60 days on apparel, home decor, pins and more merchandise. And this being the Diamond Celebration, there is a diamond-shaped icon hidden in each piece.
- Disney Theme Park Merchandise is kicking off Star Wars Weekends 2015 at Disney's Hollywood Studios with a special ticketed event called "Galactic Gathering" on Thursday, May 14 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event will give guests the first chance to purchase products created specifically for Star Wars Weekends, the $250 ticket will include additional commemorative merchandise, an Ashley Eckstein meet and greet, and other galactic activities.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.