Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- Magic Kingdom Park and Disney's Hollywood Studios will reopen additional dining options this fall (as if we needed more reason to head to the parks!), including a special Halloween character dining experience! Beginning Sept. 24, Cinderella’s Royal Table at Magic Kingdom will again welcome guests (though the princesses will be on a break). Gaston’s Tavern at Magic Kingdom will return Sept. 4, as well. Over at Disney's Hollywood Studios, ABC Commissary will be available for walk-in quick service at lunch beginning Oct. 8. And Minnie's Seasonal Dining at Hollywood & Vine will return Sept. 25, where Minnie, Mickey and friends will be dressed in their spooktacular seasonal best! Guests can reserve a spot at Cinderella's Royal Table or Minnie's Seasonal Dining beginning Sept. 11 in the My Disney Experience app.
- Calling all superheroes! LEGOLAND Florida is hosting Heroes Weekend Sept. 5 to 7, featuring activities promoting safety, meetups with Lego Doctor Max and Lego Policeman, opportunities to build a Lego City mosaic and a showing of “The Lego City 4D: Officer in Pursuit" ... and the event is included in your admission!
- Freeform's Halloween Road drive-through event is coming to L.A. Oct. 2 to 4! After releasing 2020's “31 Nights of Halloween” schedule, Freeform also announced that this year's event would be an immersive, family-friendly drive-through event to promote social distancing. Guests will be able to drive through scenes inspired by some of the films from the "31 Nights of Halloween" lineup, including “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” “Hocus Pocus" and more — and it's toadally free! You can make a reservation to attend beginning at 10 a.m. on Sept. 12 at 31nightsofhalloween.com.
- Disney Parks Blog is celebrating all things Pixar in a month-long virtual Pixar Fest. All month long, you can join in on the celebration, too, with weekly activities, Disney+ watchalongs (every Saturday, beginning Sept. 5), new product launches (including the adorable "Toy Story" Alien Remix Plush) and Pixar-inspired recipes. As the aliens would say, "ooooooooooooooooh!"
- Exciting news! The first steel beam is now in place at Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway at Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort President Ken Potrock shared on Instagram this week. The future Toontown attraction is set to make its debut in 2023.
- Disney's Polynesian Resort at Walt Disney World Resort is about to get some Pacific Ocean-inspired upgrades! The resort has pushed back its grand reopening to summer 2021 in order to refurbish the Great Ceremonial House and guest rooms. The refurbishment will incorporate colors, patterns and textures from "Moana." (It's a toadallly perfect fit, right?) Disney Vacation Club units will remain open during the refurbishment, though the monorail station at the resort will also be temporarily closed beginning in October. (You can keep tabs on all of the refurbishments at Disney World in our full post here).
- I scream, you scream, we all scream for ... ice cream! As summer comes to a close (but continues to bring the heat in the almost-always-toasty Orlando), Universal Orlando Resort released its roundup of the very best ice cream treats around property. Among the listed treats sure to cool you down and make you say "yum" is the Brain Freezin’ D’oh-nut Sundae from Lard Lad Donuts at Universal Studios Florida, pictured above. Do you have a favorite Universal ice cream?
- And don't froget, you've still got a few days to enter our Extend Your Summer Sweepstakes for a chance to win three nights at a Universal Orlando hotel and three days of park hopping for a family of four!
- Sea Life Aquarium is now open at LEGOLAND California! Operating at 25 percent capacity, the two-story aquarium will require advance reservations to attend. You can get the full scoop on what's currently open at LEGOLAND, as well as the health and safety measures in place, in our full post here.
- For the first time ever, Disney Parks Blog is hosting a virtual Disney Family Game Night! Grab your fam and join the live fun Sept. 4 at 7 p.m. EST, featuring Disney trivia, matching games and more! (Team Frog is toadally ready!)
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.