Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
This week’s theme park news highlights:
- As of earlier this week, Disney World and Disneyland were on track to sell two million jumbo turkey legs in 2013, a perhaps staggering number for those who don't understand the allure. I'll admit to having given in to one (or two) a time or too. Where does the turkey leg rank on your list of theme park treats? Share in comments below.
- New Year's Day has come and gone, and those of you who braved the lines know all too well that it was packed in the theme parks this week. Thankfully, the rest of January is predicted to see lower crowd levels.
- You still have a few more days to catch the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, Grinchmas and the Macy's Holiday Parade.
- Vera Bradley's new Disney collection was among the most popular park merchandise of 2013.
- Falcon's Fury, the 335-foot-tall drop tower under construction at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, is already dominating the skyline at the park. Expect the ride to open this spring.
- Disney's "The Lion King" was the top-grossing Broadway show of 2013.
- Duffy the Bear is getting new duds for the new year. Nothing is quite so adorable as a stuffed bear in a Stitch outfit!
- Runners headed to next week's Walt Disney World Marathon will be able to snag a pair of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy or Cinderella limited edition New Balance running shoes.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.
— Mommy Frog