Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- There has been a lot of buzz over Disney's newest vacation club property, Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, for a couple of good reasons. One because of its visibility from the Ticket and Transportation Center that takes you to Magic Kingdom and two because it's actually on the water (we frogs like that)! We shared a peek at the renderings a few weeks back, although the first phase of the project is set to open April 1. The Bora Bora Bungalows that sit over the water of the Seven Seas Lagoon will sleep up to eight guests. Up to five guests can sleep in the 360 Deluxe Studio Villas. Those of you thinking this is your idea of paradise will have the opportunity to purchase, starting Jan. 12 for current DVC members and Feb. 9 for general sales.
- Best of luck to those of you racing in the Walt Disney World Marathon or any of the races this weekend! Those of you who have been curious about the Disney marathon can watch along at home via a live stream of it and the half-marathon this weekend.
- Those of you at the race can try on some new kicks at the Expo! Disney is set to debut retro 2015 New Balance runDisney Mickey and Minnie shoes this weekend.
- If you've been to Magic Kingdom this past week then you know that A Frozen Holiday Wish was extended past its initial holiday run. You can catch the show has been through Monday.
- One of the most popular Disney fireworks shows, "Fantasy in the Sky", returns to Disneyland for a limited time starting tonight. The fireworks show was last seen regularly in 2004.
- New, open-edition retail MagicBands featuring Mickey, Ariel, Cinderella Castle and more Disney friends are headed to the parks in 2015. Mickey is available now.
- SeaWorld Orlando is kicking off the new year with a new event. Wild Days will be held weekends Jan. 24 through Feb. 8 and will feature shows, animal encounters and animal conservation experts, including Jack Hanna and Bindi Irwin.
- Those of you watching "Celebrity Apprentice" can look forward to episodes that feature the cast at Universal Studios Florida. But for what? You'll watch to find out.
- Finally, it's been a big couple of weeks for Gaston, who single-handedly defeated a guest in a pushup contest AND then went on to lose an arm-wrestling contest to an 11-year-old girl. These are the breaks, Gaston, non?
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.