Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- The Electrical Water Pageant will receive celebratory new scenes in honor of Disney World's 50th anniversary. The classic nighttime show, which debuted in 1971, will feature a towering castle, swirling pixie dust and a version of the 50th-anniversary anthem, "The Magic Is Calling." The new scenes will bookend the full traditional show, which sails nightly across Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. Can't wait to see this grand finale!
- ICYMI: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at Disney's Hollywood Studios is now using a traditional standby queue for the first time since opening in late 2019. Guests no longer have to join a Boarding Group in order to ride. Just keep in mind that the virtual queue may return at a later date, or from time to time. Also, Disney has confirmed that Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be available during Early Theme Park Entry hours for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests, starting Oct. 1. The early frog gets the fly, after all.
- We frogs are excited for "Muppets Haunted Mansion," which debuts Oct. 8 on Disney+. While we all wait in anticipation, keep an eye out for special activities at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. Starting Oct. 1 at Disneyland, there will be special photo opportunities near the Esplanade (Magic Key holders can find exclusive photo-ops now!). And then beginning Oct. 8, there will be a special exhibit featuring exclusive content inside the Main Street Opera House. At Disney World, you can now try one of four eclairs inspired by the Muppets stretching portraits from PizzeRizzo at Hollywood Studios. Then, starting Oct. 1, catch exclusive content from "Muppets Haunted Mansion" during the pre-show for Muppet*Vision 3D, and starting Oct. 8, take a special Magic Shot featuring Madame Pigota in front of the Haunted Mansion.
- Guess what, amigos? A new "Un Poco Loco" scene from "Coco" will debut Nov. 12 at Mickey's PhilharMagic in Magic Kingdom. Sing along with Miguel and Hector, as Donald Duck makes a short stop in the Land of the Dead. Mickey's PhiharMagic will close Oct. 11 and reopen with the new scene. Mickey's PhilharMagic at Disney California Adventure received the same update in July.
- Do you prefer treats over tricks? Knott's Spooky Farm begins this weekend, while LEGOLAND's Brick-Or-Treat kicks off Oct. 2 at both of the California and Florida parks. These family-friendly events provide all of the treats instead of the tricks (you can enjoy those at Knott's Scary Farm, Universal's Halloween Horror Nights or SeaWorld's Howl-O-Scream). Dress up in your Halloween best, and leave with your bag full of candy!
- In celebration of World Rhino Day, the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance wants your help with naming a rhino calf born last month. Submit your choice out of three options — Kamaria, Kifaru or Ilanga — by visiting the San Diego Zoo Safari Park's Facebook page anytime from Sept. 22 through Sept. 28. The zoo will announce the winning name Sept. 29.
- California Grill at Disney's Contemporary Resort will offer a limited-time, three-course menu for "The World's Most Magical Celebration," starting Oct. 3 (reservations are available now!). The menu includes dishes inspired by past favorites as well as new creations. Highlights include the California Grill Sushi Classics Trio, Duck á la Orange Pizza, Oak-Fired Beef Filet and EARidescent Grand Marnier Soufflé. YUM!
- Hoppy Birthday, LEGOLAND Florida! The theme park is celebrating its 10th birthday in style with the debut of a new attraction, the reopening of Miniland U.S.A. and other festive activities. The LEGOLAND Story opens Oct. 15 — it will be a walk-through experience that tells the history of LEGO and LEGOLAND parks. See the first LEGO toy ever created and the top three LEGO models from the second season of "LEGO Masters." Miniland U.S.A. also reopens Oct. 15 after the installation of new shade structures. Keep a look out for special birthday surprises throughout the same day!
- Surprise! Disney Parks Blog will be live streaming special previews of the new nighttime spectaculars, "Harmonious" at EPCOT and "Disney Enchantment" at Magic Kingdom Park, which will officially debut Oct. 1 for the 50th anniversary. Watch "Harmonious" at 9 p.m. ET, Sept. 29 and "Disney Enchantment" at 10:15 p.m. ET, Sept. 30.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.