Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights
- Get ready to get down! Literally. Grab your SONY Walkman and start dancing your way over to Disney California Adventure. Six classic pop/rock songs will let you groove to your inner Star-Lord on the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy—Mission: BREAKOUT! attraction. Songs by artists such as Elvis Presley, The Jackson 5 and The Edgar Winters Group will accompany the six different ride scenarios that guests will experience when this Free (fall) Ride opens May 27.
- Who better to explain Univeral Orlando Resort entrance policies than the diabolical leader of the Decepticons? In its new video series, Megaton Explains It All, the evil Transformer lays out the policies behind Early Park Admission.
- In WE MISSED THIS BY TWO DAYS news, Johnny Depp popped into Disneyland and appeared as Captain Jack Sparrow INSIDE the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. If this isn't the most Johnny Depp thing ever, I don't know what is.
- Consider adding another suitcase to your Pandora packing list. Disney revealed a glimpse of the merchandise that will be available during your visit to Pandora — The World of Avatar when the new land at Disney's Animal Kingdom opens May 27.
- Two new concerts have been added to the SeaWorld Seven Seas Festival. El Gran Combo and Grupo Niche will perform on the first two Sundays in May.
- The Orlando Sentinel has a feature of the wildly popular Disney Dress Shop at Disney Springs. I was able to score two of these delightful dresses this past week at Downtown Disney in Anaheim. Needless to say, they are fantastic and I must own all of them.
- Have you pictured yourself sipping a cool beverage in your personal cabana at Universal's Volcano Bay, or zipping past the slide lines with Universal Express? Prices were revealed for all the extras at Universal's third Orlando theme park.
- Fans of Superman, Batman and Bugs Bunny will be hoppy to see the new concept art released for Warner Brothers World Abu Dhabi. This park will feature 29 attractions spread across five themed lands and is due to open in 2018.
- Did you miss out on the national phenomenon that was the Unicorn Frappuccino? For a limited time, Starbucks locations at Disney Springs are offering a similar beverage, The Pink Flamingo. Guests at Starbucks locations at Downtown Disney in Anaheim are selling the same drink under a different name—Pink Pegasus.
- Remain seated with your seatbelt fastened; Permanecer sentados por favor. The icy slopes of the Matterhorn have reopened to Disneyland guests. This classic attraction returned Wednesday with the addition of Fastpass ticketing. With this attraction up and running, the unveiling of Disney MaxPass Fastpass seems just around the corner
- Concept artwork for a new Disney Springs restaurant to replace Portobello Country Italian Trattoria was released. The new restaurant will be overseen by James Beard award-winner and Top Chef Master Tony Mantuano.
- <singing> There's a great big beautiful view of Tomorrowland shining at the end of your Disneyland day. The Tomorrowland Skyline Lounge will offer guests breathtaking views of the land, as well as the nighttime Disneyland fireworks display. Reservations available by contacting Disneyland.
- Over at Busch Gardens Tampa, Willie the orangutang celebrated his 18th birthday. Congrats Willie! Only a few more years until you can hit Vegas!
- Headed to D23 in Anaheim in July? Prepare your Condorman cosplay and bring all the phone chargers. You'll be standing in line for some amazing presentations. The full lineup of Hall D23 presentations was announced, with highlights including Disney Legends Awards Ceremony, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, and oh, just ALAN MENKIN IN CONCERT. D23 takes place at the Anaheim Convention Center on July 14-16.
- Attractions Magazine posted a video that details the various cast member costumes that will be found within Pandora—The World of Avatar.
- Finally, we were thrilled to hop around Disneyland during Dapper Day last Sunday. It was amazing to see the creative costumes, dresses and overall fun of seeing many guests in their Sunday best. Leap over to our Instagram feed to see many of the amazing outfits we saw.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!