Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- Hoppy 30th anniversary, Disney's Hollywood Studios! Along with a preview of the new park entrance, limited-edition merch and eats (churro lightsabers, anyone?) the park also celebrated its anniversary with the debut of a new nighttime projection show. "The Wonderful World of Animation" takes viewers into, well, the wonderful world of animation, showcasing animated classics such as "Hercules," "Aladdin," "Coco" and the iconic "Steamboat Willie." We were lucky enough to hop along with the celebration this weekend ... you can see all of the magical deets on Instagram @ThemeParkFrog!
- Yeehaw! Along with all of the anniversary fun, Disney's Hollywood Studios announced that it'll be opening a new table service restaurant in Toy Story Land! Roundup Rodeo BBQ, intended to look like Andy's handmade creation from three cardboard boxes that have been cut and taped together, will fit right into Andy's Backyard. The restaurant will take diners into a rodeo arena created from his favorite toys, games and play sets.
- It's here, frog friends! While Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge general reservations are no longer available, reservations ARE still available for Disneyland Resort hotel guests. If you haven't already, grab your lightsaber and hop here to learn how to snag yours.
- And if you can't wait until May 31 to head to a galaxy far, far away, there are plenty of opportunities to celebrate Star Wars Day this weekend! At Disneyland, in honor of May the Fourth, take a ride on Hyperspace Mountain, check out the March of the First Order in Tomorrowland or grab some intergalactic grub (including a Dark Side Chicken Sandwich or Outer Rim Pasta, as well as novelty steins, sippers and popcorn buckets inspired by Star Wars icons). Meanwhile, at Walt Disney World Resort, you can catch a special Star Wars edition of Disney After Hours at Hollywood Studios, in addition to limited edition pins, drinkware and T-shirts. May the Fourth be with you!
- If you're in need of a margarita after dealing with the First Order, we've got good news for you! SeaWorld Orlando will have tasty tacos, Chile Relleno and esquites, as well as paletas and a frozen watermelon lime margarita available to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
- There's a new baby gorilla at Disney's Animal Kingdom! The baby Western Lowland gorilla was born to mother Kashata and father Gino, and has a very special name. Baby Grace is named after the GRACE gorilla sanctuary in the Democratic Republic of Congo, dedicated to helping gorillas orphaned by poaching. You can join in celebrating baby Grace's arrival by visiting Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail or grabbing a specialty cupcake at Tamu Tamu Refreshments.
- And in even more baby animal news (as if we could ever get enough!), Cinderella has a new pony. Lilly is the first-ever white Shetland pony born at the Tri-Circle-D Ranch at Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground at the Walt Disney World Resort. Lilly's mother, Lady, and father, Ferdinand, pull Cinderella's iconic pumpkin coach for Disney’s Fairytale Weddings and parades at the Magic Kingdom Park. When Lilly (named after Walt Disney's wife) turns two, she’ll begin training to follow in mom and dad's footsteps. You can see Lilly in the show pasture near the barn at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground for a few hours each day for now! Could she be any cuter?!
- A totally different kind of ... uh ... creature ... will be haunting Universal Studios come fall! Both Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood have announced two monsterrific mazes for Halloween Horror Nights 2019. In Orlando, get ready for an all-new mashup of classic movie monsters including Frankenstein's monster, Dracula and the Wolf Man. In Hollywood, the Wolf Man and Frankenstein's monster will be returning to scare the living daylights out of guests in the "Universal Monsters" maze.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.