Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- A new Jimmy Fallon ride is headed to Universal Studios Florida in 2017. The 3D Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon will take guests inside the "Tonight Show's" Studio 6B to race against Jimmy in a crazy adventure. There will be smoke, scents and water effects along with appearances by announcer Steve Higgins, house band Roots and famed New York City landmarks. The new ride is replacing Twister, which is set to close Sunday.
- Playful alt-pop band Walk the Moon is set to perform Nov. 7 at Universal Studios Florida as part of the 2015 Nickelodeon HALO Awards, hosted by Nick Cannon. The band will play at the Plaza Stage inside the park. Regular park admission is required to get in.
- For all of you Cruella and Dr. Facillier fans, a new villain-themed dining event is headed to Disney's Hollywood Studios starting on Jan. 16, 2016. Club Villain is going to give attendees the chance to mix and mingle with Disney's villains on the dance floor, and indulge in some specially themed eats and drinks. The event is $99 per person and will take place on select nights inside the Sunset Showcase theater. Booking in advance is recommended.
- More personalization is available for MagicBands. At Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland Power & Light Co., guests can choose from eight colors and 40 graphics for their bands, and and for an additional charge, they can add their names to the outside of their bands. The custom bands go for $21.95, while the personalized bands go for $29.95.
- One of the original Voices of Liberty, Debbie Johnson, will be singing for the last time with a cappella group Saturday at Epcot. Johnson was there singing at the park's opening in 1982 and she has had an interesting history ever since. We wish her well in retirement!
- Disney World is looking to hire "contemporary and Bollywood-Style Dancers" to perform in the Rivers of Light nighttime show that is set to debut at Disney's Animal Kingdom next year.
- Are there or aren't there real skeletons inside Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland — this is a question I've spent quite some time pondering this month of Halloween. It turns out, I wasn't alone. Atlas Obscura asked the same question too, and you might be surprised by the answer.
- If you're looking for some last minute Halloween inspiration, look no further than our YouTube channel. We've posted videos from recent visits to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom, Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland, Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando, and Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood. Wherever you plan to spend your holiday, we hope you stay safe and have fun!
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.