Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- The additions just keep coming as Downtown Disney transforms into Disney Springs. A new aviation-themed lounge, Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar, is headed to the entertainment area this fall. Construction has already begun on the bar located between the just-opened BOATHOUSE and Paradise 37. All of you Indiana Jones fans will recognize the name as one of Indy's frequent pilot, and you'll want to be on the lookout for his pet snake, Reggie! The bar will offer fun cocktails such as the “Hovito Mojito” and appetizers such as the “Air Pirates Everything Pretzels” with house-made mustard and beer cheese fondue.
- Star Wars Weekends kick off today with more fun and food options for fans, including the Rebel Hangar, and stage show hosted by James Arnold Taylor.
- The "Coolest Summer Ever" is kicking off next Friday with 24 hours of fun at Magic Kingdom. Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and Olaf will be part of the Welcome Show plus they will be part of a pre-parade before the Main Street Electrical Parade performances at 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. There is so much fun in store! We hope some of you will make it :)
- The LEGOLAND Hotel welcomes its first guests. There are more than 2,000 LEGO models throughout the 152-room hotel.
- SeaWorld Orlando is set to unveil details Wednesday for the longest, tallest, fastest coaster in Florida that will be coming to next year.
- The legendary Hatbox Ghost made his reappearance on the Haunted Mansion some 45 years later just in time for the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration.
- The stars were out last weekend for the premier of "Tomorrowland" at the Disneyland Resort. George Clooney and his wife, Amal, were on hand along with more of the film's cast plus plenty of other celebrities.
- A new world record was shattered at the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon at Disneyland Resort by Lenore Moreno by almost nine minutes! The California native credits being inside Disneyland as that little extra push she needed.
- This year's D23 Expo will go back 60 years in Walt Disney Archives presents – Disneyland: The Exhibit. The display will feature more than 300 props, costumes, Audio-Animatronics figures, attraction vehicles, photographs, artwork and memorabilia.
- TV show "American Ninja Warrior" filmed season 7 earlier this week along the streets of New York inside Universal Studios Florida. The new season is set to debut May 25.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend! If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.