Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- Are you ready to hunt with Blue and the other velociraptors from "Jurassic World?" While we've seen the track going into place high above our heads in Universal's Islands of Adventure for a good while now, Universal Orlando finally confirmed the coaster's name and opening date! The Jurassic World VelociCoaster promises two launches and four inversions as guests embark on a high-speed dash through a raptor paddock, twisting and turning along the waterfront. The Jurassic World VelociCoaster will open summer 2021. Want a sneak peek at the coaster's progress? Check out Tad's video below!
- And speaking of summer 2021, Universal Orlando just launched a hopping good theme park ticket deal that can be used through Aug. 31, 2021. With this limited offer, if you buy two days, you get three days FREE at Universal Orlando ! Usually these crazy low prices are reserved for Florida residents, but this time anyone can purchase. Hop over to our new deals ticket page to learn more!
- Things are getting spooky at SeaWorld San Diego! The park announced that its annual Halloween spectacular, Spooktacular, will be taking place this year from Oct. 2 to Nov. 1. Guests can enjoy family-friendly decor, yummy treats, a candy trail, a socially distanced dance party and even a pumpkin scavenger hunt! Advance reservations and face coverings are required to attend, so be sure to hop to it!
- In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, Disney Parks Blog released a special look at the history of Mariachi Cobre. Did you know that they've been performing at EPCOT for 38 years? You can catch Mariachi Cobre’s daily performances of the traditional folk music from Jalisco, Mexico, at the America Gardens Theatre. (You can see one of our very favorite performances from last year in the video above — Mariachi Cobre presents the story of "Coco!")
- On the heels of Disney's exciting announcement that three rhinos are expecting at Disney's Animal Kingdom, a baby giraffe made her grand entrance into the world this week! The baby giraffe is healthy and "feisty," weighing in at 156 pounds; she's also a third-generation Masai giraffe born at Disney. Baby is resting with mom, Mara, backstage until she's ready to join the herd on the savanna (including her grandmother, Kenya, who you may recognize from "The Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom" on Disney+!).
- Aloha again! Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa will begin its phased reopening Nov. 1, Disney confirmed. Much like the theme parks, the Hawaiian resort will be putting health and safety measures into place, with specific policies to be released soon.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.