Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- In good news for theme park fans, Comcast confirmed during an earnings call this week that a new King Kong attraction will be headed to Orlando. While no more details were provided, for months rumors have speculated that construction near Jurassic Park River Adventure in Universal's Islands of Adventure is for a Kong attraction. A movie based around King Kong's home, Skull Island, is expected to be released in 2017.
- One of the most frequent questions we get from readers was answered this week with the revealing of the 2015 dates for this year's Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parties. Tickets are expected to go on sale in April for two of the Frog Family's favorite Disney events, and we will let you know when they do!
- Disney has given us a sneak peek of the Anna and Elsa topiaries that are making their debuts at this year's Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival. The sisters are still in the nursery, but we expect they'll be heading to Norway very soon!
- Following Disney's lead, Universal Orlando raised ticket prices this week. For a limited time, you can shop our best ticket prices, while supplies last!
- Filming of "Sharknado 3" continued at Universal Studios Florida, this time near the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit.
- Ever wondered how Disneyland keeps its massive refurbishment of large buildings and attractions under wraps? Thanks to painted thin-gauze fabric reproductions surrounding the attractions in question, guests are shielded from any scaffolding and get a peek at art in the process.
- Finally, congratulations are in order for Victoria & Albert's chef Scott Hunnel, who has been nominated for the 2015 James Beard Award. He is among 20 chefs from the South Region who will be vying for the award May 4.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.