Hoppy day! LEGOLAND California has reopened! The LEGOLAND theme park fully reopened April 15, 2021. The SEA LIFE Aquarium and LEGO CHIMA Water Park also reopened April 15, 2021. Both hotels are open. We recently hopped back to this toddler-friendly theme park to explore and learn more about what it's like after reopening. And we have frogciting news to share! The new land, LEGO Movie World, opened May 27, 2021! We had so much fun exploring that, too.
All California theme park rules changed as of June 15, 2021. LEGOLAND is happy to welcome back out-of-state visitors. The California Department of Public Health strongly recommends that all guests be fully vaccinated or obtain a negative COVID-19 test prior to entering theme parks. The resort does not require proof of vaccination. While masks are no longer required for vaccinated guests, LEGOLAND California strongly encourages unvaccinated guests to continue to wear one. The resort continues to encourage guests to keep a 6-foot distance from other parties, and all guests are required to have a dated ticket or book a reservation in advance for their visit. The theme park, water park and hotels will operate without capacity restrictions. The most up-to-date details can be found on the Safe to Stay section of the LEGOLAND site. The FAQs also offer the latest information. You'll want to hop by for updates before you visit.
Keep in mind that even though government restrictions have been lifted, LEGOLAND is committed to making guests feel safe to play. LEGOLAND maintains intense daily cleaning procedures, social distancing, space between parties in show venues and over 200 hand-sanitizing stations! These guidelines sure help a mom feel good about letting her tadpoles play at such a hands-on theme park.
What to Expect at LEGOLAND California Right Now
Here's a look at what LEGOLAND is like right now. Keep in mind that things may change pretty rapidly now that government restrictions for COVID-19 are loosened. Keep hopping back for the latest news. In the meantime, dated tickets or reservations continue to be required for all guests. You'll need an advanced reservation or dated ticket for:
- LEGOLAND Theme Park
- LEGO CHIMA Water Park
- SEA LIFE Aquarium
California theme parks had been temporarily closed due to COVID-19 since mid-March 2020. The reopening procedures differ from park-to-park, so we've got you covered when it comes to what to expect when the California theme parks reopen.
What rides and experiences are open?
The following theme park rides and experiences are open during the reopening period (subject to change):
- LEGO Movie World, including Emmet's Flying Adventure Ride, Queen Whatevra's Carousel, Unikitty's Disco Drop and Build Whatever You Wa'Na Build
- The Dragon Coaster, Coastersaurus and LEGO TECHNIC Coaster
- Driving School, Jr. Driving School and Skipper School
- Fun Town Fire & Police Academy, Bionicle Blaster and Sky Patrol
- Royal Joust, Fairy Tale Brook and LEGOLAND Express Train
- Lost Kingdom Adventure, Cargo Ace and Beetle Bounce
- Miniland U.S.A.
- Outdoor Playgrounds (Hideaways + DUPLO Playtown, although they are closed at a posted time for cleaning each day, plus Benny's Playship climbing structure has landed in the middle of Bricksburg)
- Indoor experiences such as THE LEGO MOVIE 2 Experience and 4D Theatre
- Water play areas in LEGO Movie World and Pirate Shores (bring that swimsuit!)
Select rides may be unavailable but will be made available where possible. Indoor rides, shops and restaurants have returned to full capacity
Like the other theme parks, the way you approach rides will be a little different after the LEGOLAND California reopening. You will use hand sanitizer dispensers before and after you ride. Make sure to tighten your mask on roller coasters and bring a backup mask just in case!
Some of the water park rides and attractions are open (although the list is subject to change):
- Cragger's Swamp
- Lion Temple Wave Pool
- Build-a-Boat Lounge chairs
- Lockers and restrooms
- Wolve's Den Grill
LEGOLAND California Reopening Dates, Tickets and Details
The LEGOLAND California theme park began reopening in April. Park hours may vary per day, so check the calendar before your visit. Guests can enjoy:
- LEGOLAND Theme Park
- LEGO CHIMA Water Park
- SEA LIFE Aquarium
- Select dining, retail, and indoor attractions
LEGOLAND California Tickets and Reservations
Legoland tickets are on sale now. Capacity is limited. All guests must either purchase dated LEGOLAND California Resort tickets in advance or make reservations to visit.
Tickets purchased from April 15 and forward will require the guest to choose an admission date. Discount LEGOLAND California Resort tickets from Undercover Tourist are available now! (Pssst ... you can save even more money on a weekday ticket.) You will select the date you want to use the ticket and then purchase. You can head straight to the gate without having to make a further reservation.
Existing LEGOLAND tickets holders need to make a reservation. Reservations are open now. You can make a reservation through the Day Ticket reservation link.
Use the icon for booking only and not admission. You'll need to use the booking portal if the following apply:
- You have unused and expired day tickets from the closure period (including tickets purchased through Undercover Tourist).
- You have an active play pass, annual, pass or monthly pay membership.
- You are a hotel guest who purchased a ticket and hotel package.
Here's how to link your tickets previously purchased from Undercover Tourist:
- Select “Day Tickets” reservation link to reserve your visit date.
- Select “Day Tickets Purchased from a Third Party."
- Select the appropriate ticket type that matches the valid tickets.
- You have the option to choose the number of tickets you have to make reservations.
- Follow the steps, and enter the barcode for each ticket when requested.
- Select the date from the calendar you would like to visit, and complete your reservation.
- Reservation ticket/s will need to be presented at the park entrance along with each valid ticket.
Both hotels are open now. In terms of the LEGOLAND hotels, guests with hotel room and ticket packages have guaranteed entry into the LEGOLAND theme park, LEGO CHIMA water park and SEA LIFE Aquarium. Hotel guests can make reservations to visit now. A separate ticket is needed to make a reservation.
What's Hoppening at LEGOLAND This Year?
Between a new land to explore and hoppening events, we have a lot to look forward to at LEGOLAND now and through the end of the year:
- LEGO Movie World — Opened May 27, 2021
- Rebuild the World at PLANET LEGOLAND! — Opened June 10, 2021
- An all-new 4D movie, LEGO MYTHICA - JOURNEY TO MYTHICA — Opens June 24, 2021
- Red, White and Boom! Fourth of July celebration (with games, activities and fireworks) — July 4, 2021
- LEGO NINJAGO Days 10th Anniversary — Aug. 13 to Sept. 10, 2021
- NEW LEGO VIDIYOTM MUSIC FEST — Sept. 17 to 19, 2021
- Brick-Or-Treat Party Nights Halloween Celebration — Saturdays in October
- Holidays at LEGOLAND California Resort — Nov. 20, 2021 to Jan. 2, 2022
LEGOLAND California Health and Safety Details
Planning to visit LEGOLAND? Here’s everything you need to know before you go!
We recently visited LEGOLAND to check out LEGO Movie World. Visiting gave us a chance to see how LEGOLAND operates and LEGO building experiences work now that the park has fully reopened. Of course, things are changing as California reopens the state and allows businesses to return to fully normal operation. It will take theme parks some time to adjust to the post-pandemic world.
We also visited the Sea Life Aquarium in summer 2020. You can purchase SEA LIFE Aquarium tickets in advance, as well. You can get a 1-Day SEA LIFE Hopper, or any LEGOLAND ticket can be upgraded to include SEA LIFE aquarium for $25. Take a look at the SEA LIFE Aquarium with Tad's video on our YouTube channel.
As you may have guessed, you can expect several health and safety changes at LEGOLAND. You’ll notice that some restaurants and attractions remain temporarily closed. There are some LEGO brick pits. You can use hand sanitizer before and after building. Overall, we hope you’ll find the park cleaner than ever before.
Before leaving home, stay up-to-date on the latest information by checking LEGOLAND California’s website. Download the mobile app to check park hours, wait times and find the nearest hygiene station. Vendors are not accepting cash payments, so have a credit or debit card ready. And be sure to bring face coverings for you and the tadpoles!
Masks are no longer required for vaccinated guests. LEGOLAND encourages unvaccinated guests age 2 and up to wear a face covering. Employees wear masks.
Allowable face coverings are cloth or disposable coverings that cover the nose or mouth. It can have straps or ties or wrapped around the lower face. Coverings with mesh, holes or exhalation valves are not permitted.
All guests will undergo a non-invasive quick health check. Before you enter the park, you confirm that you have none of the following symptoms and that the conditions presented below do not apply to you:
- Cough, fever (100 degrees Fahrenheit or more), chills, fatigue, body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestions, runny nose, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or difficulty breathing
- Been in close contact with a person known or suspected of having COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- Tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days
- Are under any self-quarantine orders
During this reopening phase, you can expect the following safety measures to be in place during your visit. Keep in mind that these measures may change over time as the situation changes. Please see the website for Health & Safety requirements and information when planning your visit.
Dated Ticket or Reservation System
- No more capacity restrictions
- Purchase date-based tickets in advance
- People with existing tickets can book a date and time to reserve their spot
Employee (Model Citizen) Screenings and Protection
- Mandatory health and safety COVID-19 training for all employees
- Wellness checks for employees prior to the start of the workday
- Employees wear protective face masks
- Hygiene barriers at check stands
Entrance and Security Checkpoints
- Guests should maintain 6 feet distance from other parties at ticket booths, security queues, inspection tables and park entrances
- Hand sanitizer stations at ticket booth windows and park entrances
- Visitors are asked to open their own bags for security inspections to minimize contact
Disinfecting and Sanitation
- Additional hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the park
- Additional hand-washing stations throughout the park
- Park announcements encourage guests and Model Citizens to wash hands frequently
- Chairs and tables frequently disinfected
- All building areas and LEGOS are disinfected
- Each party has its own building table, sanitized between uses
- Guests sanitize hands before and after building or playing
- Playground areas frequently sanitized
- Reduced restroom capacity to maximize social distancing
- Employees frequently sanitize restrooms
- LEGOLAND will continue to encourage space between parties.
Rides and Attractions
- Hand sanitizer dispensers at each ride entrance and exit
- Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of ride vehicles, queue railings and touchpoints
- Restaurants may fully open indoors and out
- Select restaurants may be open
- Prepackaged grab-and-go snack and meals available
- Reconfigured self-service buffets and salad bars
- Hygiene screens at food stations and cashiers to reduce close interactions
- Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of door handles, counters and common areas
- Cashless transactions
LEGOLAND Water Park New Guidelines
You should still be able to catch a wave and make a splash at the LEGOLAND California Water Park with the following modifications:
- Not all attractions are open.
- Maintain 6 feet of distance from other guests. Lounge chairs will be grouped together for families to utilize the space available to maintain proper social distancing.
- LEGOLAND will be sanitizing all water tubes and life jackets between uses
- Employees sanitize high-frequency touchpoints on a regular basis
- Some areas and fountains are on a temporary "time-out"
- Guests bring own towels.
- Re-entry is not allowed.
- Life jackets are available (they are sanitized between use).
LEGOLAND Hotel Safety
You’ll see more of the same at the hotels, including the following:
- Temperature checks
- Hygiene stations/hand sanitizer dispensers
- Social distancing reminders
- One party at a time in elevators
- Temporary suspension of some entertainment
- Increased time between stays in hotel rooms
- Temporarily suspended housekeeping
- Reserved pool time slots
- Cabanas for purchase for more private space at the pool
- Guests required to maintain 6 feet of space to play in pools
- Reservations required for meal periods
- Contact-free checkout
Hopfully, you have a good idea of what to expect during the LEGOLAND California reopening. Don't froget to purchase discount LEGOLAND California Resort tickets in advance. If you need a hotel stay, you can get a jump on saving money on a San Diego hotel (including the LEGOLAND California Hotel) when you book with Undercover Tourist.
Related: LEGOLAND California Tips