Hoppy day! LEGOLAND California has reopened! The LEGOLAND theme park reopened with preview days April 1 (for select rides), followed by a full reopening April 15. The SEA LIFE Aquarium and LEGO CHIMA Water Park also reopened April 15. Both hotels are open. We cannot wait to hop back to this toddler-friendly theme park.
What to Expect at During the LEGOLAND California Reopening
Here's a look at what's going on surrounding the reopening. First of all, you can expect capacity limits during the LEGOLAND California reopening. The state also requires a pre-sale dated ticket or reservation system to help limit park capacity. You'll need an advanced reservation or dated ticket for:
- LEGOLAND Theme Park
- LEGO CHIMA Water Park
- SEA LIFE Aquarium
Priority Access for the month of April is given to:
- LEGOLAND Hotel Guests
- Active Pass Holders (Play Pass, Annual Pass, and Monthly Pay Memberships)
- Existing Day Ticket Holders (Expired and unused during closures)
Don't book that trip just yet, especially if you live out of state. During this reopening period, admission to all theme parks is limited to California residents. Croak!
California theme parks had been temporarily closed due to COVID-19 since mid-March 2020. The reopening procedures differ from park-to-park, so we've got you covered when it comes to what to expect when the California theme parks reopen.
What rides and experiences are open?
The following theme park rides are open during the reopening period (subject to change):
- The Dragon Coaster, Coastersaurus and LEGO TECHNIC Coaster
- Driving School, Jr. Driving School and Skipper School
- Fun Town Fire & Police Academy, Bioncle Blaster and Sky Patrol
- Royal Joust, Fairy Tale Brook and LEGOLAND Express Train
- Lost Kingdom Adventure, Cargo Ace and Beetle Bounce
- Miniland U.S.A.
- Outdoor Playgrounds (Hideaways + DUPLO Playtown)
- Indoor experiences such as THE LEGO MOVIE 2 Experience and 4D Theatre
Select rides will be unavailable inside due to CDC and state guidelines, ride maintenance and capacity restrictions. Rides will be made available where possible.
Like the other theme parks, the way you approach rides will be a little different after the LEGOLAND California reopening. You will use hand sanitizer dispensers before and after you ride. Follow the floor markings in the queue to help you keep your physical distance from others. Expect to see empty rows between parties on rides. Make sure to tighten your mask on roller coasters and bring a backup mask just in case!
The following water park rides and attractions are open (subject to change):
- Cragger's Swamp
- Lion Temple Wave Pool
- Build-a-BoatLounge chairs
- Lockers and restrooms
- Wolve's Den Grill
At the water park, guests do not need to wear a face covering when eating, in the water, or walking directly to and from a water attraction. At all other times a face covering will be required.
LEGOLAND California Reopening Dates, Tickets and Details
The LEGOLAND California theme park begins reopening in April. Park hours may vary per day, so check the calendar before your visit. The park remains closed on some midweek days.
LEGOLAND reopened fully on April 15, 2021, (for select days). Guests can enjoy:
- LEGOLAND Theme Park.
- LEGO CHIMA Water Park.
- SEA LIFE Aquarium.
- Select dining, retail, and indoor attractions.
LEGOLAND California Tickets and Reservations
Legoland tickets are on sale now. Capacity is limited. All guests must either purchase dated LEGOLAND California Resort tickets in advance or make reservations to visit.
Tickets purchased from April 15 and forward, will require the guest to choose an admission date. Discount LEGOLAND California Resort tickets from Undercover Tourist are coming soon!
Existing LEGOLAND tickets holders and hotel guests have the first option to visit LEGOLAND theme park in April 2021. Reservations are open now. You can make a reservation through the Day Ticket reservation link.
Use the icon for booking only and not admission. You'll need to use the booking portal if the following apply:
- You have unused and expired day tickets from the closure period (including tickets purchased through Undercover Tourist) .
- You have an active play pass, annual, pass or monthly pay membership
- You are a hotel guest who purchased a ticket and hotel package.
Here's how to link your tickets purchased from Undercover Tourist:
- Select “Day Tickets” reservation link to reserve their visit date.
- Select “Day Tickets Purchased from a Third Party”.
- Select the appropriate ticket type that matches the valid tickets.
- You have the option to choose the number of tickets you have to make reservations.
- Follow the steps, and enter barcode for each ticket when requested.
- Select the Date from the calendar you would like to visit, and complete your reservation.
- Reservation ticket/s will need to be presented at the park entrance along with each valid ticket.
Both hotels are open now. In terms of the LEGOLAND hotels, Guests with hotel room and ticket packages have guaranteed entry into the LEGOLAND theme park, LEGO CHIMA water park and SEA LIFE Aquarium. Hotel guests can make reservations to visit now. A separate ticket is needed to make a reservation.
LEGOLAND California Reopening Details
Planning to visit LEGOLAND? Here’s everything you need to know before you go!
We attended the Holidays at LEGOLAND event in the fall. As a nervous Mommy Frog taking tadpoles out in a pandemic, I was impressed with the safety measures in place at LEGOLAND that allowed our tadpoles to build with sanitized LEGOS. The hand sanitizer was flowing before and after we touched anything. We had plenty of physical distance space from other guests to feel safe. And Lily can never get enough of Miniland U.S.A., so she enjoyed the slower pace that allowed her all the time she needed to explore. Without rides to rush off to, she could explore every tiny detail.
Visiting during the event also gave us a chance to see how LEGO building experiences operate once the park fully reopens. We also visited the Sea Life Aquarium in summer 2020.
You purchase SEA LIFE Aquarium tickets in advance as well. You can get a 1-Day SEA LIFE Hopper, or any LEGOLAND ticket can be upgraded to include SEA LIFE aquarium for $25. Take a look at the SEA LIFE Aquarium with Tad's video on our YouTube channel.
As you may have guessed, you can expect several health and safety changes at LEGOLAND. You’ll notice that some play areas, restaurants and attractions remain temporarily closed. All LEGO brick pits have been removed from common play areas to reduce cross-contamination. Instead, tadpoles are given sanitized LEGOS and use hand sanitizer before and after building. Overall, we hope you’ll find the park cleaner than ever before and comfortable with the physical distancing measures in place.
Before leaving home, stay up-to-date on the latest information by checking LEGOLAND California’s website. Download the mobile app to check park hours, wait times and find the nearest hygiene station. Vendors are not accepting cash payments, so have a credit or debit card ready. When you park, leave a space on each side of your car. And be sure to bring face coverings for you and the tadpoles!
Pack a mask for each family member age 2 and up, as California state law requires face coverings. Also bring a back-up face covering in case you drop yours, lose it on a ride, or get it dirty or wet. Guests may wear a face shield in addition to a mask but not in place of one. Allowable face coverings are cloth or disposable coverings that cover the nose or mouth. It can have straps or ties or wrapped around the lower face. Coverings with mesh, holes or exhalation valves are not permitted.
All guests ages 2 and up must wear a face covering that overs the nose and mouth unless they produce a note from a physician or qualified health care provider that they have medical or mental health condition or developmental disability that prevents them from wearing a face covering. Those exempt from the requirement should remain at least 6 feet away from guests not in their party and wear wristbands while in the resort so that LEGOLAND personnel know not to ask them to re-apply face coverings.
People who are hearing impaired do not need a note. Same for people communicating with a person who is hearing impaired, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication.
If you have a disability that prevents you from wearing a face covering and have questions about the policies and how they may impact you or those in your party, please contact Guest Services prior to your visit.
Guests may remove the mask in restroom stalls while eating or drinking in a restaurant when 6 feet away from other parties and in designated “cool off” areas.
All guests will undergo a non-invasive temperature check and quick health check. We answered questions about our health and whether we all brought face coverings at the parking booth.
The park will not admit guests who have:
- Coughing, fever (100 degrees Fahrenheit or more), or difficulty breathing
- Been on a cruise ship in the last 14 days
- Traveled internationally in the last 14 days
- Been in a location with widespread COVID-19 transmission in the last 14 days
- Been in close contact with a person known or suspected of having COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- Tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days
As we entered the park, an employee checked our temperatures and visually inspected our bags.
Let’s take a closer look at the safety measures you can expect once you enter the resort.
LEGOLAND California Reopening Safety Measures
During this initial reopening phase, LEGOLAND California must follow California government guidelines for all theme parks, as well as San Diego Tourism Authority’s San Diego Attraction Reopening Health and Safety Plan. You can expect limited capacity and the following safety measures to be in place during your visit. Keep in mind that these measures may change over time as the situation changes. Please see the website for Health & Safety requirements and information when planning your visit.
- Capacity is limited
- Purchase date-based tickets in advance
- People with existing tickets can book a date and time to reserve their spot
Employee (Model Citizen) Screenings and Protection
- Mandatory health and safety COVID-19 training for all employees
- Wellness checks for employees prior to the start of the workday
- Employee temperature checks using contactless infrared thermometers
- Employees wear protective face masks
- Hygiene barriers at check stands
Entrance and Security Checkpoints
- Reduced attendance capacity to ensure adequate social distancing can be maintained throughout the property
- A minimum distance of 6 feet at ticket booths, security queues, inspection tables and park entrances to maintain proper social distancing
- Hand sanitizer stations at ticket booth windows and park entrances
- Visitors are asked to open their own bags for security inspections to minimize contact
Disinfecting and Sanitation
- Additional hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the park
- Additional hand-washing stations throughout the park
- Park announcements encourage guests and Model Citizens to wash hands frequently
- Chairs and tables disinfected after each use
- All building areas and LEGOS are disinfected between use
- Each party has its own building table, sanitized between uses
- Guests sanitize hands before and after building or playing
- Playground areas frequently sanitized
- Reduced restroom capacity to maximize social distancing
- Employees frequently sanitize restrooms
- Signage throughout park states new health and safety guidelines
- Markers and signs encourage social distancing (bonus: they are whimsical and fun!)
- Guests follow directional markings
- One-way traffic on narrow pathways to manage pedestrian flow
- Modified photo opportunities with costumed characters to maintain 6 feet minimum distance
Rides and Attractions
- Hand sanitizer dispensers at each ride entrance and exit
- Markers throughout rides and queues indicate where to stand to maintain 6 feet minimum distance
- Staggered seating on each ride and empty rows between parties
- Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of ride vehicles, queue railings and touch points
- Smaller guests undergo one height check and receive a wristband that indicates which rides they are tall enough for — no more measuring up at each attraction
- Select restaurants may be open
- Dining areas have distanced seating areas
- Prepackaged grab-and-go snack and meals available
- Reconfigured self-service buffets and salad bars
- Model Citizens provide cutlery and condiments with the meal rather than open-area, self-serve style
- Hygiene screens at food stations and cashiers to reduce close interactions
- Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of door handles, counters and common areas
- Cashless transactions
LEGOLAND Water Park New Guidelines
You should still be able to catch a wave and make a splash at the LEGOLAND California Water Park with the following modifications:
- Maintain 6 feet of distance from other guests. Lounge chairs will be grouped together for families to utilize the space available to maintain proper social distancing.
- LEGOLAND will be sanitizing all water tubes and life jackets between uses
- Employees sanitize high-frequency touch points on a regular basis
- Some areas and fountains are on a temporary "time-out"
- Guests bring own towels.
- Re-entry is not allowed.
- If a guest is eating, in the water, or walking directly to and from a water attraction, they will not need to be wearing a face covering. At all other times a face covering will be required.
- Life jackets are available (they are sanitized between use).
LEGOLAND Hotel Safety
You’ll see more of the same at the hotels, including the following:
- Temperature checks
- Hygiene stations/hand sanitizer dispensers
- Social distancing reminders
- One party at a time in elevators
- Temporary suspension of some entertainment
- Increased time between stays in hotel rooms
- Temporarily suspended housekeeping
- Reserved pool time slots
- Cabanas for purchase for more private space at the pool
- Guests required to maintain 6 feet of space to play in pools
- Masks required at pools, except when wet
- Reservations required for meal periods
- Contact-free checkout
Hopfully, you have a good idea of what to expect during the LEGOLAND California reopening. Don't froget to purchase discount LEGOLAND California Resort tickets in advance. If you need a hotel stay, you can get a jump on saving money on a San Diego hotel (including the LEGOLAND California Hotel) when you book with Undercover Tourist.
Related: LEGOLAND California Tips