Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
This week’s theme park highlights:
- Big news came out of the Disney Parks Blog yesterday regarding the heart of Magic Kingdom, the "hub" between Main Street U.S.A. and Cinderella Castle. Disney is redesigning the entire area, adding more pathways, more seating and more landscaping. You can watch a video rendering of the changes. And while those changes are subtle, we think the net effect will mean a better experience for guests, especially while viewing the fireworks and afterwards as hundreds of thousands of people move to their next destination. Few details have been released, but we do know Disney will be adding a special fireworks viewing area, sculpted gardens and additional pathways near the Central Plaza area between the end of Main Street and Cinderella's Castle. The seating outside of Casey's Corner and The Plaza restaurant will nearly double in size. The improvements have already begun and are expected to be completed in 2015. What do you think about the proposed changes? Share in comments below.
- In this week's yummy news, the Disney Food Blog put together their list of must-eat treats for 2014. I must confess that the gourmet cupcakes from Cheshire Cafe take the cake for me, but Leap has resolved to have a pressed ice cream sandwich from L'Artisan des Glaces on our next trip! What's your Disney must-eat treat?
- Raglan Road is starting its St. Patrick's Day celebrations a full 10 days in advance of the official holiday this March. This year's festivities include pro dancers, nine bands and some amazing, authentic Irish food.
- Get out your capes, runDisney fans, because the "Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend" is making its debut Nov. 14-16 at Disneyland.
- For those of you looking at family trips in the coming months, we recommend this post on the benefits of letting kids budget and spend their own money on souvenirs.
- LEGOLAND Florida is hosting LEGO Movie Weekend every weekend in March starting on March 8 and 9. Guests can help LEGO Master Model Builders transform Miniland USA's New York City into Emmet's hometown, Bricksburg. Guests can also meet film characters Emmet and Wyldstyle, get their photos taken with Batman and more.
- The Steve Miller Band and Scotty McCreery are set to play SeaWorld Orlando's Bands, Brew & BBQ this weekend.
- The new Magic Kingdom daytime parade, Disney Festival of Fantasy, will debut March 9.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.
— Mommy Frog