Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Two of Disneyland's beloved classic attractions, Matterhorn Bobsleds and Peter Pan's Flight, are getting makeovers ahead of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration that begins later this spring. New effects, including the Abominable Snowman, are being added to the bobsleds, while Peter Pan's Flight is getting a reimagined nursery scene along with new special effects. Not too many more details have been announced, so we'll just have to wait and see! According to the Disneyland refurbishment schedule, they are set to reopen on May 15 and 20 respectively.
- The award-winning Le Cellier Steakhouse at Epcot is set to be the first Walt Disney World Resort to feature all eight wineries from the "Disney Family of Wines," so chosen for their connection to the Disney name.
- Sleeping Beauty Castle is now dazzling in diamonds in anticipation of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration, and the Disney Parks Blog shared this behind-the-scenes look at the imagineering that made it possible!
- Set to debut very soon is the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration collection from Dooney & Bourke, which features classic attractions, icons and characters. Even more exciting for us bag fiends (yes, even us frogs need a good bag) is the embossed leather collection.
Selfie sticks have not been banned inside Disney World. You can all rest easier now, knowing that Disney isn't following suit of many concert festivals and soccer stadiums.
- LEGO friends Mia, Stephanie, Olivia, Andrea and Emma (plus their pets!) are taking over six themed rooms that will include a children's area with bunk beds and a trundle, treasure chest and LEGO models. The hotel is just a little more than a month away from its official opening May 15!
- As they did with Hollywood Rip Rockit a few weeks back, the folks at Universal Orlando Resort are reportedly testing out metal detectors on Dragon Challenge and Incredible Hulk Coaster in Universal's Islands of Adventure.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.