Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- The wait is over! Buckle up for an epic galactic adventure! Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland Park is now open. Will you make a daring escape from a Star Destroyer ... and Supreme Leader Kylo Ren? The ride is opening with a virtual queue system in place (similar to ride opening procedures at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando). Whether you're hopping to Disneyland Park and need to know how to join a Boarding Group, or you just want to see all of the toadally awesome ride details, our full guide to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Disneyland has you covered!
- Joined a Boarding Group to ride Rise of the Resistance and looking to pass the time? Lunar New Year at Disney California Adventure also begins today! Celebrate the Year of the Mouse with delectable festival bites, a special parade and character encounters and cultural activities just for the occasion. Best of all, Lunar New Year is included in your Disney California Adventure admission!
- Over in Orlando, Epcot's International Festival of the Arts is in full swing! Disney released a foodie guide to showcase some of the creative (and toadally delish) offerings available at this year's festival. We're gonna have trouble picking just one (but the Vanilla, Rose Water and Pistachio Panna Cotta pictured above from Canada is definitely on our list)! What are you going to try first?
- And if we haven't already demonstrated that 2020 is off with a bang in the theme parks, three brand-new shows have debuted at Epcot! Check out "Awesome Planet" in the Land pavilion for an exploration of the beauty and diversity of planet Earth, narrated by Ty Burrell, with an original score from Academy Award-winning composer Steven Price. Over in Canada, traverse Canada's varied landscapes in the new circle-vision film, "Canada Far & Wide," narrated by Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara. And in France, sing along with favorites from "Beauty and the Beast" in an all-new film narrated by Angela Lansbury (aka Mrs. Potts!).
- Universal Studios Japan dropped a promotional video for Super Nintendo World this week, giving guests the opportunity to hop inside of real, life-size versions of their favorite Nintendo games! (Keep an eye out for Goombas, Yoshi and Princess Peach in the video!) Visitors will be able to use wearable "Power-Up Bands" to interact with the land, including collecting coins just like Mario. Super Nintendo World will open this summer in Osaka at Universal Studios Japan. Super Nintendo World will also be developed at Universal Parks in Hollywood, Orlando and Singapore in the future. (Leap and Tad are hoppin' excited to jump at some POW! Blocks in real life!)
- H2O Glow Nights are returning for 2020! That's right, 2020 dates for Disney's Typhoon Lagoon's toadally cool after-hours glow party, featuring shorter lines, special treats and eats and a rockin' DJ, have been released. "Toy Story" character favorites will be available for meet-and-greets again this year (we've missed you, Partysaurus Rex!). Be sure to grab your H2O Glow Nights tickets soon, because they "glow" fast!
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.