Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Those of you have been hopping along with us know there is a brand new Muppet show headed to Magic Kingdom this fall, and now we know the official start date is Oct. 2! "The Muppets Present ... Great Moments in American History" will be a live show near the Hall of Presidents. Look for hijinks, some history of the founding fathers, and fuzzy friends Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo and Sam Eagle.
- Starting Oct. 2, Stitch's Great Escape in Magic Kingdom will move to a seasonal schedule. Of course the Twitterverse had something to say, but overall there don't appear to be many hard feelings. Additionally, Shark Reef will be closing at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon on Oct. 3. As always, you can keep up with all of the Disney World closings on our refurbishments page.
- It's the end of an era at Disney California Adventure. The iconic Hollywood Tower Hotel sign came down off the Tower of Terror, which will close Jan. 2 for an extended reimagination that will turn it into the Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout attraction.
- For those of you looking for a suite experience on your upcoming Universal Orlando visit, the Hard Rock Hotel will be donating 15 percent of room revenue in its Hard Rock Hotel Heals Suite between Sept. 12 and Nov. 12. The donations benefit the Hard Rock Heals Foundation, which provides grants and assistance to music-centric health and wellness programs worldwide.
- The production company behind the brand-new animatronic Sally on this year's Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland shared more details about her and the ride itself. Look for the beloved Sally behind a graveyard tomb in the Haunted Mansion's Nightmare Before Christmas overlay, which runs through early January.
- And speaking of Sally, you can meet her and Jack Skellington at Disneyland Halloween Time and Mickey's Halloween Party. The parties, which are held on select nights through Oct. 31 during the Halloween celebration, kick off tonight. You can learn more in our guide, and look for updates from the first party of the season next week :)
- To celebrate the first day of fall, SeaWorld Orlando's flamingos were treated to a little play time in a pumpkin patch. It made for a fun photo op, but it's just another way the animal care teams provide new, enriching environments for its animals.
- Last but not least, we're very hoppy to announce that we're part of Universal Orlando's Blog Squad, a select group of travel bloggers and experts who will be sharing their Universal travel tips and tricks on the resort's official blog in the coming months. We'll be at the Universal Orlando Resort next week as part of the squad, so be sure to make sure you are following our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for our updates!
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!