Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Universal Orlando revealed new details about the Incredible Hulk Coaster, which has been undergoing a major refurbishment for more than six months. While the original footprint of the track will remain, just about everything else has been overhauled, and we're hoppin' excited about the changes. There is a redesigned queue, new storyline and even sleek new ride car, with in-seat audio system. Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump created the ride's new score. Who's ready to ride?
- It's the end of an era at Disney World and Disneyland as today marks your last day to buy Disney Dollars. These bills featuring Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and others that can be used around the U.S. Disney parks will continue to be accepted as payment, but you might just want to hold onto them as souvenirs.
- Disney Spring's new Town Center is just a few days away from its opening May 15, and in hoppy news for moi, there are more new retail locations opening around the shopping and entertainment area. The Savannah Bee Company, which sells honey and all-natural beauty products, and Filthy Rich, a celeb-inspired, affordable jewelry line, will join retailers such as ZARA and Under Armour Brand House.
- And let's not forget about the new food options coming to Disney Springs. On May 15, D-Luxe Burger, Amorette's Patisserie, The Daily Poutine and more will make their debuts.
- Prince Harry and his Invictus Games made quite the splash at Disney World this week, when the competition made its U.S. debut. There was a special parade down Main Street U.S.A. in Magic Kingdom that included competitors representing many of the participating countries.
- For those of you who want to stay up on there Disney news, now there's another way. The Disney Parks Blog has debuted a new "Inside Disney Parks" newscast. You can watch the first one here.
- New artwork options have been added to the MagicBand on Demand stations at select retail Disney World locations. Among the new options are those themed after "Beauty and the Beast," "Duffy the Bear" and "ShellieMay."
- I leave you with quite the pic that might whet your appetite for summer fun! The Toboggan Racers slide can be found at Disney's Blizzard Beach, the perfect way to cool off in the Orlando heat. If you aren't familiar with it, the Water Park Fun & More add-on for Disney tickets makes it very affordable to visit the water parks.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.