Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
- It's almost time to seize the "Bay!" Universal's Volcano Bay has announced that May 25 will be its grand opening day. Universal Orlando Resort's third theme park will feature all kinds of water rides, from slides to wave pools and rafting adventures to smaller places for your tadpoles. We're anxious to know what lies inside Krakatau—the fire and water volcano. The park's most curious feature is the TapuTapu wearable device that will eliminate carrying tubes and waiting in lines. There are more details about the all the Volcano Bay excitement in this post. And yes, we are selling discount Universal Orlando Resort tickets that will get you in!
- Guardians of the Galaxy — Mission: Breakout! is under construction at Disney California Adventure. This re-Imagineering of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror will introduce the Marvel Cinematic Universe into to the Disney Parks. Imagineer Joe Rohde (the earring guy) gave the Orange County Register some details about the under-construction attraction.
- Seventeen. Omaha. HUT! The NFL's Pro Bowl Week has arrived in Orlando. Football stars and fans are set to blitz ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and other locations around the Walt Disney World resort. The Disney Parks blog has a big rundown of all the events, including a Special Pro Bowl parade at the Magic Kingdom today.
- Disneyland has introduced the most upscale and exclusive dining experience imaginable. 21 Royal is a new dining experience located inside New Orleans Square and above Pirates of the Caribbean. You and 11 of your closest friends will experience one evening of unparalleled Disney service as you entertain and dine in a space originally designed to serve as an apartment for Walt and Lillian Disney. This space was home to the Disneyland Dream Suite and previous to that as the Disney Gallery. There is an official 21 Royal website, which has more photos and details. There appears to be some Disney magic in this luxury experience, as the website describes the dinner like this—"This is when the evening’s adventure really begins—as a fascinating tale unfolds told through fine food and drink." All of this can be yours for the small price of $15,000. (LILY'S PLEA - "OMG SOMEONE TAKE ME I WILL BE YOUR BFF.")
- Normally, you exit through the gift shop. Universal Studios Florida is letting you enter the gift shop before the attraction opens! The Tonight Shop at The Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon has opened. Logo shirts, Hashtag the Panda plush and Thank You notes are aplenty. The attraction will open April 6, and Fallon will broadcast The Tonight Show from Universal Orlando April 3-6.
- Lunar New Year has landed at SeaWorld San Diego. Running on Jan. 28-29, Feb. 4-5, 11-13 and 18-20, the event will feature Chinese acrobats, Taiko drummers and lion dancers (People dancing with lions? Dancing lions? The mind wanders.) as well as delicious culinary delights.
- If you're a car lover that's headed to Spain this spring, you may want to make a stop at Ferrari Land. Located next to PortAventura—A theme park that's on this frog's bucket list—Ferrari Land opens in April and will offer five attractions. Fans of the Italian sports car can look forward to a simulated factory tour and the Vertical Accelerator coaster, which zooms you up a 368-foot-tall top hat spike and goes from 0 to 112 mph in five seconds. Ferrari Land is similar—and smaller than—Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi.
- Looking to up your alien-hunting game and become an elite member of the Men In Black? The Universal Blog posted 5 Tips To Help You Be A Galaxy Defender. There are some great tips that will help you be an elite MIB on MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack at Universal Studios Florida. PRO TIP - PUSH THE RED BUTTON.
- It was a thrill to see The Main Street Electrical Parade return to Disneyland last week. Tad scoped out a great spot and recorded the pageantry. Check out his video, which I know will send you over to our LA Crowd Calendar so you can pick a time to see it live.
- Get ready to set sail with Paddlefish at Disney Springs. The upscale seafood restaurant will open Feb 4. Its website is full of delicious dining details.
- We have hopped down to the Universal Orlando Resort for A Celebration of Harry Potter this weekend! As part of the UOR Blog Squad, we'll be exploring everything Potter, from the expos to the presentations, and getting as close to Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton as possible! We'll be sharing our experiences (bragging) on social media, so follow along with us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram with the haghtags #UORBlogSquad #HPCelebration or #frogfamilyvacation. If you're heading there as well, check out our preview.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!