Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
This week’s theme park highlights:
- Disney made a bit of news this week when it was revealed that the company has filed patents to use drones in its parks. Before you start to worry, the Disney drones would be used for entertainment purposes, a little high-tech pixie dust. One of the patent applications outlines an unmanned aerial system that would be used to produce the nighttime entertainment. Another would be to control oversized animated puppets during a parade.
- Mo'Rockin', Off Kilter and the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corp are a few of the acts that will be exiting Epcot at the end of September to make way for new entertainment offerings. What's coming? Sbandieratori Flags in Italy, a Canadian lumberjack thrill show, a Moroccan musical/dance act and Scottish Musical Trio will be some of the new acts headed to World Showcase. What do you think about the changes?
- The first Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party of the season kicks off this Monday, and there will be many new villainous delights (The Evil Queen and Maleficent at the same meet-and-greet!) that we cannot wait to experience! If you're planning on going this year, and you should, be sure to check our updated tips for heading to the party!
- Over at Disneyland, Halloween is as big as it is at Disney World, and there are new experiences headed to Mickey's Halloween Party, including Anna and Elsa, who will appear in a special pre-parade ahead of "Mickey's Costume Party" cavalcade.
- Universal Orlando has confirmed that its final house in this year's Halloween Horror Nights will be based off the original 1978 "Halloween" movie and set inside Michael Myers' house.
- The Magic Mountain classic wooden coaster Colossus has closed, but it won't be gone entirely. Six Flags has announced plans for a Twister Colossus, a hybrid steel and wood coaster that would include several elements not found on any other coaster in the world.
- For those of you celebrating Labor Day at Disney World, you won't want to miss out on The Great Irish Hooley happening at Raglan Road. The party lasts all weekend, with some amazing Irish cover bands, authentic cuisine and fancy footwork!
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.