Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- You certainly couldn't have missed the biggest news of the week. Disney announced a HOPPIN' BIG $52.4 billion deal to purchase a large chunk of 21st Century Fox, including its X-Men, Fantastic Four, Simpsons and Deadpool intellectual properties. The LA Times weighs in on what this might mean for these properties. And, of course, fans have weighed in on how they feel about them being added to the parks as potential new franchise rides and characters.
- While nothing has been officially announced, Deadpool a k a Ryan Reynolds tweeted an image of his character being escorted out of Magic Kingdom with the caption, "Apparently you can’t actually blow the Matterhorn.” Hopefully, Deadpool figures out which theme park the ride is actually in ;)
- Time will tell what actually makes it to the parks. In the meantime, we're excited about Disney's biggest franchise, Star Wars. If you're looking for a fun way to show your fandom at the theater this weekend for the opening of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi," try out this Rey-inspired hair tutorial! If you're at Disney Springs, look for fun Star Wars photo ops, themed music, decor and more!
- While you're at Disney Springs, be sure to try out some of the amazing holiday sweets available from the shops and restaurants. There are Santa Mickey dome cakes, peppermint macaroons and my personal favorite Disney sweet treat, caramel apples! Yum!
- Natalie Tena, the actress who played Nymphadora Tonks in the Harry Potter films, is the latest participant to be revealed at the upcoming A Celebration of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando. She will join Stanislav Yanevski, Bonnie Wright and those wisecracking Weasley twins, James and Oliver Phelps at this very popular event that returns Jan. 26-28. The event is included with regular park admission, so it's time to get a hop on tickets and hotel if you haven't yet!
- Disney released new details about the new Skyliner Transportation System that will give guests a whole new view as they travel from select resort hotels to Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios. Guests traveling to Epcot will get a birds-eye view of World Showcase! An opening date has not yet been announced for the new gondola transport system that will be offered at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney's Pop Century Resort and Disney's Art of Animation Resort. We're leaping over this coming transportation option!
- In awwww news, two walrus calves have made their public debut at SeaWorld Orlando. Ginger was the first walrus to be born at the park, while Aku was rescued from a gold mining dredge in October off the coast of Alaska. The pair have been receiving round-the-clock care.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.