Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- It was a big week for fall fun, with the kickoff to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom. We frogs were there, gathering more tips, photos and video for our handy party guide. Maleficent was also there — on stage in the brand-new "Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular" featuring the Sanderson sisters and many other villainous types. The parties continue on select nights through Nov. 1, and no, it's not too late to start planning :)
- For those of you who want to join in the Not So Scary fun from home, Disney will be live streaming Mickey's Boo to You Parade and Happy HalloWishes tomorrow night at 8:35 and 10 p.m.
- The Universal Orlando Resort will also be live streaming from Halloween Horror Nights, which begins tonight. We're gearing up for the event after our preview a few weeks ago and can't wait to bring you even more details, photos and tips. You'll find all the gory details in our survival guide.
- Universal Studios Hollywood is also gearing up for Halloween Horror Nights, which begins tonight on the West Coast. Freddy and Jason will be there too, but they won't be facing off in one house. A Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th are the themes behind two of the houses, along with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Walking Dead and more.
- Over at Knott's Berry Farm, a former marine sergeant will be leading the charge against zombies at one of the most popular mazes in the park's annual scare event. He is one of several former military personnel who will be squad leaders in Special Ops: Infected, a military-like interactive experience. Armed with laser guns, park-goers get to take aim at zombies as part of the Zombie Response Team. Sounds intense!
- In lighter, fun eats news, Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar is set to open next Tuesday in Downtown Disney. The Indiana Jones-themed lounge opens between the BOATHOUSE and Paradiso 37. Morimoto Asia is set to open Sept. 30. We frogs are hoppin' to try both!
- And in the we-can't-wait-to-hear-more category, we've read that two new venues, Walt's and Neverland Tunnels, are being planned for Disney Springs, near the coming speakeasy Edison. Neverland Tunnels will make use of the space that sat beneath the Adventure's Club at Pleasure Island. According to food blogger Scott Joseph, to get to the Neverland Tunnels, you’ll have to first go through Edison and then Walt’s.
- Finally, the floating mountains of Pandora are starting to take shape at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The park will be home to a new Avatar-themed land, set to open in 2017.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.