Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Three hundred battery-powered drones will light up the skies above Disney Springs during the holidays. Times and dates have not yet been revealed for "Starbright Holidays – An Intel Collaboration." The five-minute show, the first U.S. drone performance of its scale, will be accompanied by Disney’s original arrangement of classic holiday tunes.
- A hearty, hoppy birthday is in order today for everyone’s favorite mouse—Mickey—and each of the Disney Parks around the world will have their own ways of marking the occasion. Mickey made his official debut Nov. 18, 1928, in the film "Steamboat Willie." You can get in on the action using #happybirthdaymickey.
- The Universal Orlando Resort introduced additional multi-day ticket offerings earlier this week, some of which include the Volcano Bay water theme park, which is set to open in early summer 2017. We frogs have discounts, of course, but we’re also offering advice on which tickets might be right for you and your family.
- Moana, from the upcoming Walt Disney World Animation Studios film of the same name, is headed to the Disney Parks. She arrived at Aulani this week, and she’ll be headed to Disney World and Disneyland soon.
- Artist/conservationist Guy Harvey is headed to SeaWorld Orlando this weekend for autograph signings and other activities. Harvey created the mural of a Mako shark that is displayed near the park's newest roller coaster.
- Additional performers were revealed for the upcoming "The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration," which will air on ABC on Thanksgiving. Alessia Cara, Boyz II Men and One Republic are a few of those who played in the parks for this festive celebration.
- New quick-service restaurant PizzeRizzo has soft opened at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. There are subtle nods to the Muppets inside the pizza spot across from Muppet Vision 3D.
- The Atlanta Braves’ will be back at Disney World for their 20th annual spring training, and dates have been released. They begin training at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in February.
- While there were super heroes out in force during the Disneyland Super Heroes Half Marathon, it was the runners’ outfits that were the real showstoppers.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!