Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- Shanghai Disneyland has announced the addition of its eighth themed land — Zootopia! Guests will be able to immerse themselves in the bustling metropolis from the Academy Award-winning movie (alongside Officer Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde, of course). We're hopful Zootopia has room for a frog or four!
- Even more "sunny days" are heading to Orlando, as SeaWorld has given a sneak peek at the real-life Sesame Street opening in the park this spring. Tadpoles will be able to visit Mr. Hooper's store and Big Bird's nest, interact with full-size characters such as Elmo and Cookie Monster, and dance along with SeaWorld's first street parade.
- Yarr! LEGOLAND Florida has named its third on-site hotel. The 150-room hotel will be called Pirate Island Hotel and will open in spring of 2020 (complete with a pirate ship)!
- For those of us anxiously awaiting any Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge updates (lookin' at you, Tad), hoppy news! A five-issue comic miniseries will be released in April 2019, introducing froggy fans to Dok-Ondar, the Ithorian collector of rare antiquities at the Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu. The story will provide tie ins to both Orlando and Anaheim parks in preparation for the opening of the Galaxy's Edge parks.
- Sixty years after its namesake, iconic film was released, Disneyland has begun renovations on Sleeping Beauty Castle. The refurbishments, expected to last through spring, are part of "Project Stardust," a series of park enhancements aimed at improving accessibility and aesthetics prior to the summer opening of Galaxy's Edge.
- Disney's Riviera Resort at Walt Disney World is now officially accepting reservations! The 300-room resort, inspired by Walt and Lillian Disney's travels throughout Europe, will be the 15th Disney Vacation Club resort on property. The resort, which will open in December 2019, will also be connected to the forthcoming Disney Skyliner gondola system.
- Meanwhile, hoppin' over to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, the new Gran Destino Tower is also taking reservations to dine at Toledo — Tapas, Steak & Seafood. Opening in July 2019, the restaurant will sit atop the tower, offering spectacular views and delectable bites, including charcuterie boards, Rib-Eye For Two (an aged, hand-cut 32-ounce Spanish chuletón for two) and 100% sustainable seafood. There are lots of options for vegetarian froggies, too!
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.