Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- We were toadally stoked to learn that one of our very favorite coasters, Gwazi, would be updated into Iron Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. While COVID-19 pushed back its anticipated launch date from spring 2020 to spring 2021, we've anxiously awaited our turn to hop on — and now, USA Today got the first sneak peek of the coaster in action! Iron Gwazi will be the tallest, fastest, steepest hybrid coaster in North America and will feature 12 airtime moments (aka tush-out-of-seat time). Woohoo!
- Walt Disney World holiday festivities are in full swing! We hopped over to Magic Kingdom to check out all of the holiday hoppenings, including brand-new character cavalcades, special treats and seasonal ride overlays at Magic Kingdom Park. Tad was there to capture the cavalcades for our YouTube channel, which you can see in the video above (hi, Santa!). Or check out all of the details in our full frogtastically festive guide!
- Walt Disney World honored veterans this week for Veterans Day, including a special flag-raising ceremony at Magic Kingdom. A few days earlier, U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds helped Walt Disney World mark the beginning of National Veterans and Military Families Month with a breathtaking flyover of the resort, including EPCOT. Did you know that both Roy and Walt Disney were veterans? The two served in World War I; Roy was recuperating in a veterans’ hospital when Walt visited him and pitched the idea for what became The Walt Disney Company. You can see a video of the Thunderbirds' flyover, photos of the ceremonies on property and tributes to veteran cast members here. Thank you for your service, veterans!
- A Disney Channel holiday special was filmed at Magic Kingdom this week — and Lily's already set our DVR to record! “ZOMBIES 2” stars Milo Manheim, Kylee Russell, Ariel Martin and Pearce Joza hopped into action for “Disney Holiday Magic Quest,” including some obstacles and challenges (guests in the park may have spotted a drawbridge and stage in front of Cinderella Castle just for the special). Raven-Symoné serves as the virtual host of the challenge, which airs on the Disney Channel Dec. 4 at 8 p.m. ET.
- Universal's Endless Summer Resort - Dockside Inn and Suites has an opening date! The property's newest value resort will open Dec. 15, 2020 ... and you know your favorite frogs have rooms for you at a discount!
- Ready for the taste of hot Butterbeer? How about catching sight of the green meanie himself, the Grinch? The Holidays at Universal Orlando Resort begin this weekend! The Frog Fam will be there with bells on to catch all of the merriment, so don’t froget to follow us on social media to hop along with us!
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.