Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights
- Hit me with your best shot. Fire awaaaaay. With a rockin' soundtrack, featuring Pat Benatar, Elvis Pressley and the Jackson 5, Guardians of the Galaxy—Mission: BREAKOUT! debuted at Disney California Adventure. The grand opening featured appearances by Director James Gunn, Zoe Saldana (Gamora), Benicio del Toro (Taneleer Tivan a.k.a The Collector) and Michael Rooker (Yodu "I'm MARY POPPINS Y'ALL) . The opening also kicked off Summer of Heroes, where guests can meet Captain America, Groot and Spider-Man, along with the Avengers Training Initiative for aspiring heroes. Look for our thoughts on these Marvel-ous additions in a post next week. SPOILER—we love it!
- New dining options are headed to Disney Springs. Wolfgang Puck Bar and Grill will enter Town Square and bring the celebrity chef's California-inspired cuisine in a setting inspired by traditional farmhouses with a hint of elegance. Jaleo from Chef José Andrés will feature tapas. The menu will showcase the regional diversity of traditional and contemporary Spanish cuisine. Both restaurants are scheduled to open in 2018. #nom
- Does being eco-friendly mix with the fast-paced world of theme parks? Indeed. The Universal Close Up Blog listed ways for you to Go Green During Your Visit To Universal Orlando. Not to brag, but we always go green.
- Space Mountain has returned to Disneyland. Well, it never really left. To commemorate its 40th anniversary, the popular coaster took a breather from its Hyperspace Mountain overlay to return to its classic theme, story and music. You are clear for launch.
- Much has been said about the beauty and splendor found inside Pandora—The World of Avatar at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Beautiful as it is, we think the delicious sweet treats sold within the land are our new favorite things about Pandora.
- SeaWorld San Antonio's newest ride, Wave Breaker: The Rescue Coater, will open June 12. The coaster is themed as an at-sea animal rescue experience.
- LEGOLAND Florida continues to BUILD goodwill within their community. The resort recently donated design and decor for a kids play are at Patrick Air Force Base.
- Did you know that Disney was going to debut a new nighttime projection show? NEITHER DID WE. Disney surprised many folks with the unannounced debut of Disney Movie Magic at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Taking place before Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular, the show focuses on the unforgettable live action films from Disney. Leap may have wept upon hearing old-school Disney classics such as "Tron," "The Rocketeer" and The Black Hole."
- Over at Universal Studios Hollywood, Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle has started in-park technical rehearsals. This new show that will take place several times inside The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will officially open June 23.
- Do you have any theories on the strange Avengers hatch that has appeared next to Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission—Breakout? If it's a hint that more Marvel is headed to Disney California Adventure, we're all for it.
- As if the Wilderness Lodge could not get any better, Disney announced that the Copper Creek Villas and Cabins will open July 17. Does that date seem familiar Disneyland fans?
- And finally, WE'RE BACK IN ORLANDO THIS WEEKEND YOU GUYS! Yes, we were just here. Follow our adventures on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. What are we up to? Well, here's a small peek of a resort we're checking out for a future post. Any guesses on where we're horsing around?
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend. I know I will!