Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Get ready to #SaveGroot at Guardians of the Galaxy — Monsters After Dark. The new Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission - BREAKOUT! ride will get into the Halloween spirit during Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort from Sept. 15-Oct. 31. Each evening, the attraction will become a new experience where guests will help Rocket Raccoon save Groot. This is just one of the many spooky treats taking place at Disney California Adventure during Disneyland Halloween Time.
- Universal's Volcano Bay is an island escape for the entire family. How can your teen tackle this great new park? The folks at Universal have put together a teen's guide to the water theme park to give them an idea of the slides, dining and thrills that await them on their visit.
- We all live in a LEGO submarine. LEGO submarine. LEGO Deep Sea Adventure will dive into LEGOLAND California in 2018. The submarine-themed ride will plunge guests into a deep-sea treasure hunt full of tropical fish, stingrays and sharks. The new ride will be the largest single investment made in any LEGOLAND theme park. Glad to know they are "sinking" lots of money into one the best theme parks for kids.
- Where were you during #solareclipse2017? A team of Disney World photographers captured the experience in really cool ways near Cinderella Castle and Spaceship Earth. Check out this behind-the-scenes video that tells the story of their experience shooting this unique event.
- "Sorry folks. Park's closed. Moose outside should have told ya." Wallyworld security guards won't be saying that again. Beginning in 2018, Six Flags Magic Mountain will be open year-round. The move comes as a way for the park to compete with other popular Southern California theme parks that are open every day. All other Six Flags parks will operate seasonally. In case you need background, Magic Mountain was the filming location for the fictional Wallyworld featured in the classic movie "National Lampoon's Vacation."
- We're so hoppy that today is the first day of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom. We'll be there tonight and can't wait to check out the characters, creative costumes and candy. We'll share all that we're seeing on our Instagram account. You ARE following us there, right? We can't wait to have our family photo taken at one of the many exclusive PhotoPass opportunities. We are selling discount tickets to the party if you want to get in on the ghoulish fun.
- The highest point of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge was put into place at Disneyland Park. The steel beam that makes up the highest point in the land was made with a 130-foot-tall rock spire. This land, along with the similar version being built at Disney's Hollywood Studios, will open in 2019.
- In case you were in need of another reason to look at your phone, Mobile Ordering for dining is now available at 15 locations across Disney World. Along with one location at Disney Springs, all four theme parks offer dining spots where you may pre-order food by using the My Disney Experience app.
- Halloween Horror Nights on your mind? Check out the event's new television ad. The spot—which may freak out younger tadpoles—was directed by noted horror filmmaker Eli Roth. The spot features elements from the houses and mazes that will be featured in Orlando and Hollywood. Hop here for discounted Halloween Horror Nights Flex Sunday-Friday Tickets at Universal Studios Florida.
- Hey howdy, hey partner! The Toy Story Parking Lot at the Disneyland Resort is expanding. Located off Harbor Boulevard, this lot will add an additional 455 spots, bringing the total amount of spaces to 5,378. With Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge looming, the resort needs all the spots it can round up.
- And finally, CUTE ANIMAL PHOTO TIME takes us to Disney's Animal Kingdom for some unique arrivals. Soni, the park's Sumatran Tiger, has given birth to two cubs. These are the first cubs born in the park's history. The family will be monitored closely before making their way out into the park's Maharajah Jungle Trek within the next few months. AWWWWWW.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend.