Can you believe we're almost at Halloween? I know, it's still summer ... but if you're avid followers of theme parks like we are, we're used to beginning spooky (or not-so-spooky) season in September or even August. Let the countdown begin!
We're all very excited about all the spooktacular events occurring at the many theme parks in Florida and California. We even have this handy Halloween page that's all about the discount tickets Undercover Tourist offers for these special events, as well as our froggerific guides to over 20 Halloween events at theme parks on both coasts. Trick or treat!
To prepare for the fun, we've made an affordable Halloween craft the whole family can participate in. Whether you're counting down to a Halloween-themed trip to your favorite theme park or want to countdown to Oct. 31, here's how to make this DIY Halloween Countdown!
How to Make a DIY Halloween Countdown
With this budget-friendly activity, we spent less than $15 and the kids participated, so that's a win-win for us! We wanted something that was very customizable with easy-to-get materials.
DIY Halloween Countdown Materials
- Wooden magnets
- Small paint set
- White chalk marker
- Pens, markers, Sharpies
We got our materials at Dollar Tree, but we also recommend any dollar store or section for similar items. You can always substitute the wood magnets for regular craft wood pieces or other hidden gems from the dollar or craft store.
DIY Halloween Countdown Instructions
- First, plan out how many days you want. We went with 25, but you could decide to go with a month's worth — however many you want!
- You can do a traditional countdown with the numbers getting smaller as you get closer, or create a calendar and start with Oct. 1.
- Then, start painting! We aimed for a mix of colors but it's all up to you. Of course, black and orange are classic Halloween colors, but we also added some white as well as green and purple. (We didn't have purple so we pulled off the classic blue-and-red mix. Adaptive frogs for the win!)
- Wait several hours for the paint to dry. We set them out for the next day.
- Next comes the extra fun part — adding fun Halloween designs! Use the various pens, markers and Sharpies to add spooky drawings. We found a black Sharpie worked the best on the wood and paint. Ghosts, bats, jack-o'-lanterns (oh my!). Making silly monster faces was Tad and Lily's favorite part.
- We tried to number at least every other one, so up to you if you want to number all of them or only some of them.
Once complete, enjoy putting them on your fridge or wherever else is magnetic, such as a baking pan or whiteboard. Each day, you can remove or add the magnets. Now your whole family can enjoy this crafty countdown to Halloween!
We're so tempted to make this project for other special occasions, such as Christmas or a trip to our favorite theme parks. Halloween can't come fast enough!
What do you think of this DIY Halloween Countdown? How does your family count down to Halloween? Let us know in the comments below!
Related: Halloween at the Theme Parks