Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
This week’s theme park highlights:
- One Direction is set to take over the Universal Orlando® Resort this coming Monday, when they perform live for both NBC's "Today" and Telemundo's "Un Nuevo Dia." No theme park admission will be required to see the band perform at Universal CityWalk®, Universal's entertainment area. At Universal Studios Florida® on Monday and Tuesday, theme park-going fans can listen to music from 1D on Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and enjoy a 1D version of the Universal Cinematic Spectacular show.
- A pair of security alerts reminding pilots not to fly over Disney World and Disneyland last month has renewed scrutiny over the Disney parks' no-fly zones. The restrictions have been in place since 2003 at the urging of at least one Disney lobbyist, according to the Orlando Sentinel. No nearby competing parks enjoy the no-fly zones, aimed at terrorists but more effectively targeting aerial advertisers.
- The Jingle Cruise at DIsneyland Park is ready for its closeup. The Disney Parks Blog got a peek at this year's seasonal overlay that is part of Holidays at the Disneyland Resort. You can read about more of this year's festivities here.
- We also have a sneak peek at the Disney Parks Frozen Christmas Celebration for ABC from Disneyland Resort. Train, Trey Songz and Lucy Hale performed for the special, which airs Christmas morning.
- The Orlando Eye has revealed the air-conditioned capsules that passengers will ride on the 400-foot observation wheel under construction in International Drive.
- In holiday yum news, special treats from around the globe are coming to Holidays Around the World on Nov. 28-Dec. 30 at Epcot, including a turkey waffle at Promenade Refreshments, pecan maple bark from Canada, the classic bûche de noël au chocolate in France and peppermint bark at the Sugar and Spice Holiday Bark at American Adventure.
- "It's a lot like running a marathon while trying to do a Sudoko puzzle," says Shane Lindsay who successfully rode all 46 Disney World rides with Ted Tamburo in a single day.
- Universal Orlando will host Nikelodeon's "Every Witch Way" Weekend on Dec. 12 and 13. Fans of the series will be able to take part in activities with some of their favorite cast members, including Paoloa Andimo, Nick Merico and Paris Smith.
- Last but not least, a young tiger is on the loose near Disneyland Paris. French officials were advising residents of three nearby towns to star indoors until it is apprehended.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.