Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Today is the official opening day for Mako, a hyper coaster that is sure to make a splash at SeaWorld Orlando this summer and beyond. Need we remind you that it's Orlando's tallest, fastest and longest coaster? Don't forget we're giving away four tickets to SeaWorld for two lucky ducks to celebrate. Click here to enter. We frogs rode the coaster (twice!) last night at the preview and can definitively tell you we've never hopped that high before. We felt like the ocean's most terrifying predators as we whipped through the tight turns and caught air, but honestly that first drop had most people shaking in fear not the other way around.
- Not to be outdone, Universal Orlando began soft openings for Skull Island: Reign of Kong. An official preview is less than two weeks away for the major new attraction inside Universal's Islands of Adventure.
- It's another week, so it's just about time for another opening at Disney Springs. Homecoming: Florida Kitchen and Shine Bar, which will open this summer. The restaurant puts a twist on classic Florida dishes, including fried green tomatoes, iron skillet sweet potatoes, and fried chicken and doughnuts.
- And in Disney Springs shopping news, Vince Camuto has opened its doors. The fab shoe designer and all-round lifestyle brand made its Central Florida debut, so we can be even more glam while theme parking.
- And speaking of glam, Rhianna cut quite the figure at Magic Kingdom yesterday with her niece in a dress the site Racked described as Tinkerelliana.
- Sounds Like Summer is back at Epcot starting this weekend and running through July 23 every day. Check out this year's cover bands, which include those paying tribute to Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner and Fleetwood Mac.
- Last but not least, the Windsor U.K. version of LEGOLAND paid homage to Queen Elizabeth with a re-creation of Buckingham Palace using more than 35,000 bricks.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.