Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
- Universal Orlando announced that it was expanding Cabana Bay Beach Resort. The '50s era beach-inspired value-moderate already has a lot going for it (see our review). Now it's adding 400 rooms in two additional towers that will open in 2017. Some rooms will offer views of the brand-new Volcano Bay themed water park that is also set to open in 2017. Universal opened Cabana Bay in March 2014, and it has another resort hotel, Sapphire Falls, currently under construction. It's quite an exciting time for Universal, with so much growth and so many new attractions headed to the parks. It's a win-win for all of us theme park-goers.
- Disney World is debuting another new breakfast in the parks. This time it's at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Reservations opened this week for the limited-time Out of This World breakfast for dates starting Nov. 1 through Jan. 23. We frogs like the early breakfast reservation in the parks, because it's a great way to get a hop on everyone else. If you opt for the drive-in, you can dine in the back of a car under the stars!
- The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card set to debut at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party was revealed this week, and it features Halloween Minnie on her broom. The card is exclusive to the party, and party guests must show their wristband and ticket to get it.
- Mormioto Asia is set to open at Downtown Disney on Sept. 30. Originally set to open this past summer, the two-story restaurant that features a lounge and exhibition kitchen will bring pan-Asian dishes from famed chef Masaharu Morimoto.
- Two janitors are dishing the dirt on what it's like to keep the kingdom clean. Ken Pellman and Lynn Barron have written a book, "Cleaning the Kingdom: Insider Tales of Keeping Walt’s Dream Spotless," that takes us regular folk through what it was like to clean up Walt's original Magic Kingdom inside Disneyland.
- Holidays at Disneyland is set to return again this year Nov. 13 through Jan. 6. The Disneyland Diamond Resort Celebration continues through the holidays as well, and more details about this season's holiday events are expected soon!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.