Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Reservations have opened for the Universal Orlando Resort's newest hotel, Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, which is set to open in summer 2016. Guests can start booking reservations for dates starting on July 14, 2016, at the 1,000-room hotel that will feature Universal's largest zero-entry pool and towering waterfalls. The rooms remind me a lot of Universal's Cabana Bay Resort, don't you think? You can't go wrong with that chic, beachy design. Click the link above to see more pics and full details on the resort.
- "Sharknado 3: Oh Hell Now" debuted Wednesday evening, and it's safe to say Universal Orlando had one of the starring roles. The Orlando Sentinel counts all the ways in which the resort features heavily in the Syfy sequel, which might be reason enough to tune in — if killer sharks and blood and Tara Reid aren't enough. It airs again Saturday and Sunday, so there is no reason to miss out.
- In case you missed our big announcement a few weeks back, we have introduced a brand new Orlando Planning App for iPhone. In a first, it offers touring plans AND wait times for Disney World, Universal and SeaWorld. It's FREE and ready for you to download it — especially if you have an upcoming trip!
- '80s band Night Ranger is headed to SeaWorld Orlando for its Summer Nights concert series this Saturday and Sunday. The band plays at 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. for you early birds.
- We couldn't wait to see the pics from Disneyland's 60th anniversary, you know, the actual day of the anniversary. Park guests were invited to show their Disney side, 1955-style on July 17. As you might have guessed, glamour was in full force. I'm just going to say it: This is how we should be dressing for Disneyland every day.
- The Velociraptors are coming — to Universal Studios Hollywood. These 750-pound, 15-feet-tall predators of "Jurassic World" fame can be found near Jurassic Park - The Ride and are ready to make your acquaintance. They make eye contact and communicate via ear-piercing screeches. We'll let you humans meet him ;)
- Following a recent decision by Disney, Six Flags has banned selfie sticks in its parks. It has also banned monopods and "similar devices."
- Finally, we leave you with this most spectacular photo from Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Paris. It looks so peaceful that you almost forget that there is a sleeping dragon in the basement. Shhhh! Don't wake him.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.