Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
This week’s theme park highlights:
- Good news for those of you heading to the parks soon! Guests now have access to unlimited FastPass+. After they have used their first three FastPass+ selections, guests will be able to make another selection via the FastPass+ kiosks in the park. After they've used that one, they will be able to make another, and so on and so on. There is also good FastPass+ news for Park Hoppers! Guests can make and use their additional FastPass+ selections across parks. In the switch to unlimited FastPass+, there are still a few unanswered questions. Chief among them is will guests in the tiered parks (Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios) be able to make additional FastPass+ reservations for tiered attractions and entertainment. We will let you know as soon as we find out! In the meantime, let us know what you think about the modifications and how you think they will change your touring plans in the parks? Share in comments below.
- The opening is getting close! The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train saw its first riders Tuesday as extras were brought in to ride the new family coaster for a Disney commercial.
- We're just a few short weeks away from one of Disney's biggest annual events -- Star Wars Weekends! The full lineup for this year's event has been announced! We already reported that Mark Hamill would join the event this year for the first time. Additionally fans can see Ahmed Best (Jar Jar Binks), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) and many, many more.
- This year Star Wars Weekends attendees will have the option to attend the "Feel the Force Dining Event" that gives guests VIP status at the "Legends of the Force Motorcade," up-close viewing of the "Symphony in the Stars" fireworks spectacular and entry into a desserts party.
- LEGOLAND Florida celebrated Earth Day by running the entire day on renewable energy. Thanks to a partnership with Tampa Electric, the park installed a solar array that will continue to power Imagination Zone from the same source.
- Anna and Elsa arrived Sunday at Magic Kingdom Park. FastPass+ is now available for those of you who want meet the "Frozen" sisters, who moved from Epcot to Princess Fairytale Hall.
- The Today Show canceled plans to broadcast from Universal Orlando today, much to the chagrin of Harry Potter fans everywhere. Many had speculated that Universal would announce an opening date for the Diagon Alley expansion. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.
- Disney's Hollywood Studios is celebrating its 25th anniversary May 1 with grand festivities, including a rededication ceremony that will honor some of the 25-year cast members, a motorcade of studio stars and a fireworks spectacular.
- You know how much I love a good craft. This week the Disney Parks Blog debuts a Disney Parks Guide Map Magnet project that is cute as a button and would make a great souvenir!
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great holiday weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.