Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- While we're sure you haven't put those jack-o'-lanterns away just yet (and will probably be enjoying leftover Halloween candy well into the holiday season like Tad and Lily), the Disneyland Resort is gearing up for 2020! Dates for both Lunar New Year celebrations and Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival have been released. From Jan. 17 to Feb. 9, 2020, guests can celebrate the Year of the Mouse (apropos, no?) with special performances, activities, decor, cuisine and merchandise in Disney California Adventure for Lunar New Year. Shortly thereafter, from Feb. 28 to April 21, 2020, guests can taste their way through California-inspired bites, wine and beer at Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival. What a way to beat those post-holiday blues and kick off the new year!
- If you'll be at Epcot this weekend, you're in for a treat! Mariachi Cobre Presents the Story of “Coco” returns Oct. 31 to Nov. 2 in honor of Día de los Muertos. Watch as Mariachi Cobre, joined by Folklórico dancers, tell Miguel's story through dance and song at the Mexico pavilion. "Coco"-lovers, don't froget to stop by the ofrenda inside of the Mexico pavilion, too! Recuérdame ...
- Disney's Skyliner transportation system transported its one-millionth rider this week! The aerial gondolas take guests to and from Disney's Hollywood Studios, Epcot and four Disney Resort hotels.
- They're back! Disney Villains will be taking over Magic Kingdom for special After Hours events again in 2020. Walt Disney World has released dates for 24 Villains After Hours events from Feb. 7 to July 10 (10 more nights of villainous fun than 2019)! You can read all about what to expect in this post, but needless to say, Tad is already putting these on his calendar.
- Ho, ho, ho! A sleigh-full of holiday merchandise has made its way to the Disney Parks. Which items are going onto your Christmas list? ("All of them" is a toadally acceptable answer.)
- A new high-speed rail system station is being built at PortMiami ... and the line will stretch all the way to Orlando! The rail system will give theme park tourists a way to easily hop to the cruise port (touring by land AND by sea ... amphibious, just like us!). The Miami station will be ready sometime in 2020, and the Orlando connection is scheduled to open in 2022.
- Imagine, for a moment, that you're walking through Jordan Peele's "Us"-themed maze at Universal's Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood, when Red herself pops out. A few lucky guests got an extra jump as Lupita Nyong'o, aka Red from the movie, made herself at home in the haunted maze! Watch out for those scissors.
- Interested in even more sights and sounds from this year's event? For a complete look at Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2019, check out the video below.
- Last but not least, don't froget, your favorite frogs are throwing a VIP party inside Universal Orlando Resort! For a limited time, you can purchase tickets that will include access to both parks plus food and great rates on your hotel stay! Hop to it.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.