Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- After Cinderella Castle's stunning makeover, other entrance signs around Walt Disney World are getting similar treatment in a complimentary color palette. If you've ever driven under one Disney World's "welcome" arches, you may notice a fresh look in the weeks to come. Here is a rendering of what to expect. Oh boy!
- Starting Nov. 3, the virtual queue process for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at Disney's Hollywood Studios will be changing! At 7 a.m. EDT on the day of their visit, guests with valid admission and a Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney's Hollywood Studios can try to join a Boarding Group to ride the attraction — from anywhere nearby. (No more rushing to get into the park by 10 a.m.!) Guests who aren't able to snag a Boarding Group can try again at 2 p.m., but will need to be in Disney's Hollywood Studios to give it a try. And, with new plexiglass dividers on ride vehicles, more recruits should be able to hop on board! For all of the details on how to join a Boarding Group for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, hop over to our full guide.
- Disney's Animal Kingdom welcomed a new white rhinoceros this week — a baby boy weighing in at 150 pounds! This is the eleventh white rhino, an endangered species, born at Walt Disney World, with two more babies expected next year. Mama Kendi was actually the first white rhino born at Animal Kingdom in 1999!
- The Downtown Disney District is expanding to include Buena Vista Street in Disney California Adventure! While the theme parks remain closed, Buena Vista Street's shopping and dining destinations will open to Downtown Disney guests in November ... just in time for holiday shopping (and a churro, of course!).
- The holidays are hoppening at Knott's Berry Farm too! On select dates from Nov. 20, 2020, through Jan. 3, 2021, Knott's Taste of Merry Farm will invite guests to enjoy yuletide food, festivities and retail. Much like Knott's other seasonal festivals, capacity will be limited, and guests hoping to attend will need to purchase tasting cards in advance.
- SeaWorld Orlando's all-new Glacier Bar is open for business! Guests can chill out at the shaded outdoor bar with craft beers, cocktails, frozen drinks and tasty bites, such as specialty flatbread pizzas. Glacier Bar is located next to Wild Arctic, with views of SeaWorld’s upcoming coaster, Ice Breaker (and yes, there's ride merch available to purchase!). For a limited time on Tuesdays and Thursdays, guests can enjoy Happy Hour during special times at Glacier Bar ... and Pass Members who visit now will receive an exclusive Ice Breaker color-changing Pilsner souvenir with purchase of a draft beer or frozen cocktail!
- Who's ready for some hot, fresh donuts! (Me! Me!) Over at Disney Springs, a brand-new donut and coffee destination is coming to the West Side — Everglazed Donuts & Cold Brew. Much like our favorite candy apple stop at Disney Springs, Candy Cauldron, there will be a viewing window to watch the baking process (before you eat it, of course). Coffee cocktails and light sandwiches will also be served up.
- Just in time for Halloween, Universal Orlando gave us something to haunt our dreams until Halloween Horror Nights returns in 2021 — a sneak peek of a new house called Puppet Theater: Captive Audience. Surprise!
- Welcome, foolish mortals, to Disney Parks Trivia — Halloween edition! Disney Parks Blog has materialized a Haunted Mansion quiz to test your knowledge on the attraction. Plus, there will be a special Family Game Night at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, Oct. 30, featuring spooky-good trivia, puzzles, guessing games and more. Hoppy Halloween!
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.