Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- More magic is returning at Disneyland Resort! Disneyland Hotel will reopen July 2, 2021, with limited capacity. You can now make room reservations in the Fantasy Tower (save some green by booking through us!). During the closure, the hotel received some extra pixie dust throughout the guest rooms, lobbies and meeting rooms. The guest rooms now have new carpet with a fun fireworks design and upgraded platform beds that leave more room for storage. The corridors also feature new carpet designs inspired by Mary Blair and the different park lands. And guess what? Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar, Tangaroa Terrace Tropical Bar & Grill and the Coffee House will be available upon its reopening! The pools, waterslides, spa whirlpools, pool bar and fitness center will also be accessible for hotel guests.
- Meanwhile, over on the East Coast, Universal Orlando Resort is gearing up for an epic summer — all of the Universal Orlando hotels will be open by the middle of June! This week, Loews Hotels announced that Universal's Aventura Hotel will reopen June 16, and last week, we found out that Universal's Endless Summer - Surfside Inn & Suites will reopen May 26. Reservations are available now!
- Welcome to Orlando! A couple of Orlando theme parks welcomed new residents this week. At Disney's Animal Kingdom, a new zebra was born (some lucky frogs got to witness the birth while riding Kilimanjaro Safaris!). Meanwhile, Nunavik, an 11-year-old beluga whale, is settling into his new home at SeaWorld Orlando, where he will join a new pod of similarly aged whale friends.
- If you can't stop the feeling and like to move it, move it, then get excited for an all-new interactive character experience coming to Universal Studios Florida later this spring. Located in the KidZone area, DreamWorks Destination sounds like it will be one big party, where you can meet and dance with characters from "Trolls," "Madagascar," "Kung Fu Panda" and more.
- Can you believe it's already almost summer?! SeaWorld Orlando's premier summer event, Electric Ocean, is returning May 28! On select nights until Sept. 6, guests can experience electrifying entertainment and extended park hours. Check out our Electric Ocean guide for more details!
- Aspiring superheroes will need food for fuel, and what better options than super-sized pretzels and not-so-little chicken sandwiches? Disney released a foodie guide for all of the offerings you'll soon be able to find inside Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure. And that's not all! We also got a first look at new Avengers Campus merchandise, including a WEB Power Band that you will be able to use on the new ride, WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. Spidey senses, engaged!
- Many changes to the health and safety guidelines are hoppening on both coasts, due to the latest guidelines from the CDC and local government officials. Now that Orange County has met the qualifications for the Yellow Tier, the theme parks in Orange County can now raise capacity limits from 25 percent to 35 percent. In Florida, the mask policies have now become optional while outdoors at the Orlando theme parks. Each park still has its own policy, so review all of the park-specific updates in our mask tips post.
- Some new details about Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary celebration surfaced this week. Cast members will don new nametags, featuring the shimmering "EARidescence" colors. They look toadally rad! Additionally, Disney PhotoPass Service is teaming up with Snap to introduce new Snapchat Lenses in time for the event. You'll be able to place your favorite PhotoPass photo on Cinderella Castle with augmented reality within the My Disney Experience app. In the meantime, new Snapchat Lenses featuring Mickey and Minnie will be available in the Snapchat app.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.