Fall is one of my four favorite seasons to visit the theme parks (get it?). Here are a few helpful tips if you’re planning a fall vacation…
1. Plan for warm days and mild nights. Fall weather in Orlando isn’t “typical” fall weather. There are days when it’s so hot you’d swear it was still summer. Your best bet is to pack shorts and t-shirts, but also a few light sweaters and pairs of pants. Click here to see all my Fall Packing Tips for Theme Parks.
2. Know the park schedules. With separately-ticketed special events like Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom and Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios, it’s important to know the park schedules. You don’t want to plan to spend the entire day at Magic Kingdom only to find out you have to exit the park early because Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is that night. Also, some parks shorten their hours during the fall because of the smaller crowds. Use Undercover Tourist’s apps to see park opening hours up to 180 days in advance.
3. Keep up with school work. Traveling with children during the fall usually means they miss a few days of school. Be sure to make arrangements a few weeks before your trip. Tad and Lily’s teachers will usually let them get a head start on any bigger projects that they would otherwise be working on while they’re gone. I also pack lap desks and a few school supplies so they can keep up with their assignments during travel time. Read more tips for traveling with kids.
4. Pick the best ticket for the season. The fall special events impact which tickets I choose for fall Frog Family vacations. If we’re attending Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, I might consider a ticket with one less day on it, since we can enter Magic Kingdom at 4 p.m. with the party ticket. If we want to attend Epcot International Food & Wine Festival more than once, I make sure to get the Park Hopper ticket so we can spend part of the day at Epcot and part of the day at another park.
5. Shop wisely. It seems strange to be mentioning Christmas already, but fall vacations in Orlando are great opportunities to do a little early shopping. In addition to all the great shops inside the theme parks, Orlando has awesome outlet malls near the resorts.
6. Do a little prep work. Since the parks aren’t as crowded during the fall, you can cover a lot more ground which means even more walking than normal. It’s always a good idea to get moving a few weeks before your trip so frog legs don’t get as sore.
Here are even more ways to get prepared for a theme park vacation.
Tags: Universal Studios, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney, Universal Orlando, Disney World, Park Hopper, Packing Tips, Undercover Tourist App, Tickets, Orlando Vacation, Halloween Horror Nights, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, Orlando Theme Parks, Theme Park Vacation, Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
Your handheld guide and planning tool for all Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, and SeaWorld Orlando parks.Learn More
Our step-by-step guides will save you up to 4 hours a day.
Learn how to Skip the Lines with the Frog Family Guide to FastPass+. Print it before you go!FastPass+ Guide (PDF)
Undercover Tourist is the leading supplier of online discount tickets to Orlando, Florida-area attractions, including Walt Disney World® Resort, Universal Orlando® Resort, SeaWorld® Orlando Resort, LEGOLAND® Florida and more.
In order to save your favorite items, you'll need to create an account.
Already have one? Sign in.