Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- Cinderella Castle has received its first piece of EARidescent decor in preparation for Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary celebration! The piece features a royal blue jewel, with gold detailing and shimmering draping. Over the coming months, the castle's turrets and towers will receive pearls, jewels and ribbons in royal blues and iridescent golds. "The World's Most Magical Celebration" will begin Oct. 1, 2021.
- And guess what else will make its big debut in October? You can officially say "bonjour" to Remy just in time for Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary! Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, as well as La Crêperie de Paris, will both open Oct. 1, 2021.
- Disney's Blizzard Beach water park is now open! After a closure due to COVID-19, the wintry water park opened its slides (or should we say, slopes) and other toadally fun water attractions to guests. We frogs naturally had to go check it out — hop over to our full post for all of the cool details!
- There's a new piece of Disney technology on its way — Disney MagicMobile service will debut in phases this year as a new way to access MagicBand features such as theme park entry via your smartphone or watch (starting with Apple devices). Guests will be able to create a Disney MagicMobile pass through the My Disney Experience app and add it to their smart device’s digital wallet. Just like MagicBands, most features will be available by just holding up your smart device near an access point. If you're a MagicBand fan, those aren't going away; instead, Disney MagicMobile service is another option, and you can even use both or alternate. The Digital Room Key feature will continue to live in My Disney Experience. And of course, guests can still request Key to the World cards if none of these options meet your needs.
- Hippity, hoppity, Easter's on its way — the Eggstravaganza scavenger hunt is coming to the Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort! From March 15 to April 18, guests can pick up a game board and stickers to try to find hidden Disney-themed eggs all around Downtown Disney. You can pick up your game board and stickers for $7.99 (plus tax) at select merchandise locations, including the newly reopened WonderGround Gallery. Once completed, you can return your game board to World of Disney or Disney’s Pin Traders to collect an eggciting surprise!
- The good times are going to continue to roll on at Universal's Mardi Gras! Universal Orlando Resort announced that Mardi Gras has been extended through April 11 — two weeks later than its original end date! Hooray for more beignets! Check out all of the fun in store at Universal Studios Florida's hoppin' event in the video above.
- Universal Orlando also made our dreams (and maybe our nightmares) come true by confirming that Halloween Horror Nights is returning in 2021 as promised — and released event dates! The first house confirmed for HHN 30 is Beetlejuice, which made a brief appearance on Halloween weekend 2020. "It's showtime!"
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.