Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- In some good news, Inside the Magic reports that My Disney Experience provided four FastPass+ selections during a test this week at Magic Kingdom via the site, app or park kiosk. We frogs tried it ourselves for Magic Kingdom today, and while we could only make three choices, we were given a bonus attraction that we were then able to modify to another selection. We tried it for subsequent days and were not able to get more than three FastPasses at Magic Kingdom, but here's hoping that we learn more in coming weeks. Inside the Magic also reports that there was a similar test going on at Disney's Hollywood Studios. We'd love to hear from any of you who have been able to get a 4th FastPass!
- We almost missed it last week, but Trader Sam's Grog Grotto had its soft opening at Disney's Polynesian Resort & Villas. The East Coast version of Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel shares some similarities with the original, and the soon-to-open terrace will be your new favorite place to take in views of the marina and Seven Seas Lagoon.
- Of course, even more celebrating was done this week with the grand opening of Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows. Media were invited to come out and see the new on-the-water bungalows as well as the aforementioned Trader Sam's.
- For those of you who will be enjoying the parks this Easter, make sure to check out our favorite ways to celebrate the holiday.
- Easter Sunday is one of the very busiest days of the year at Disney World, so we wanted to share this post from a few months back that outlines the parks' closing procedures during peak times.
- At Disneyland, there will be springtime treats for the entire month of April, including these absolutely adorable bunny caramel apples.
- Starting July 17, there will be even more live music at Disneyland Park as part of the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration. The park's beloved musical acts, including the Dapper Dans, will increase the number of performances throughout the day. Additionally, the iconic Disneyland Band will unveil a new sound along with new arrangements, themed performances, more musicians and high-energy choreography.
- Actor Steve Carrell visited Universal Studios Florida this week and of course stopped by to visit his old pals, the Minions, and Gru, the character he voiced in the Despicable Me movies.
- SeaWorld Orlando's rescue team returned 17 Kemp's ridley sea turtles to the wild at Kennedy National Seashore.
- And last but not least, SeaWorld San Diego is taking its environmental stance to the toilet. Literally. It's newest restroom will use a salt water flushing system, using water from nearby Mission Bay and helping to conserve freshwater in drought-stricken California.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.