Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- Bibbidi, bobbidi, boo! Disney Imagineering released a new, stunning rendering of Cinderella Castle fully transformed ahead of Walt Disney World's upcoming 50th anniversary celebration, by concept designer Xiao Qing Chen. The EARidescent embellishments were inspired by Disney legend Mary Blair, drawing inspiration from her color styling for "Cinderella." Remember the pearls and ribbon mentioned in Cinderella Castle's upcoming transformation? Think back to Cinderella's own gowns from the movie. We cannot wait to see Cinderella Castle in her very own magical moment IRL!
- Busch Gardens Tampa Bay is opening a Giraffe Bar! The appropriately named venue at Serengeti Overlook will showcase views of zebras, antelopes, ostriches and giraffes. On the menu are vegetarian shareables such as loaded hummus and Bavarian soft pretzels, as well as themed beverages, including the Hungry Tusker (Amarula African cream liqueur, dark rum, coconut, pineapple) and Masai Margarita, plus flights of local craft beer served on hand-carved wooden giraffe paddles (we wonder if they'll also serve longnecks?). There will also be a selection of wines and spirits that support wildlife conservation efforts worldwide. The bar officially opens March 26, but a soft opening began this week.
- There are two new dining options open (and a third is on its way) at SeaWorld Orlando! Altitude Burgers (a burger bar) and Edy's Ice Cream Parlor (featuring mega-monster shakes) have recently opened their doors, while Lakeside Grill (a modern spin on Mediterranean Cuisine) is set to open late March, giving guests even more delicious options for theme park days. Yum!
- After several delays, Super Nintendo World is officially open at Universal Studios Japan! Mario, Luigi and Princess Peach greeted guests to their Mushroom Kingdom. The super immersive land invites visitors to become part of the video game universe, from jumping up to punch question mark boxes to racing a kart through Bowser's castle. It's been confirmed that Super Nintendo Worlds will be coming to both Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort in the future. Let's-a go!
- Bring your appetite! Disney's Hollywood Studios is debuting several new items, including plant-based Ronto Wraps, that we can't wait to get our froggy hands on! The plant-based Ronto Wraps are available for both breakfast and lunch: the Triple Suns Breakfast Wrap with plant-based “egg,” smoky chickpea onion slaw and roasted tomato sauce wrapped in a warm pita, and the Zuchii Wrap with grilled zucchini, smoky chickpea onion slaw, creamy garlic tahini sauce and fresh cilantro wrapped in a warm pita. Looking for something more sweet than savory? Check out the Paint Can Cake at Backlot Express, Hazelnut Crunch Cannoli at PizzeRizzo and Mickey Mouse Chocolate Chunk Brownie at the Grand Avenue Cart and Tip Board Cart. Nom.
- Disneyland Resort is ready to "see ya real soon!" Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park will both reopen April 30. Making its not-so-scary debut on opening day is the refurbished Snow White’s Enchanted Wish attraction. Capacity will be limited, and admission will initially be limited to California residents. Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will reopen April 29.
- Six Flags Magic Mountain will be the first California theme park to reopen April 1 (first to passholders before opening to the general public April 3), with health and safety measures in place. For more information about what to expect when the California theme parks reopen, hop to our full post.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.