Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- Main Street Confectionery is getting a super sweet makeover in preparation for The World's Most Magical Celebration in October, commemorating Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary. Beginning March 29, both Main Street Confectionery and The Chapeau will close temporarily for the refurbishment. Both stores will receive a new look, an expanded layout and even new, interactive ways to customize your treats! But don't worry — the shop's signature sweets will shift to other spots in the park while it's closed, including the Emporium and Main Street Cinema.
- Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park is joining in to celebrate Earth Month! From April 18 to 24, guests can take part in limited-time experiences, including specialty food and drink, a new Wilderness Explorer activity, new Magic Shots and even an Earth Day 2021 Te Fiti trading pin. We can't think of a more natural spot to celebrate the place we all call home!
- Leapin' lily pads — Disneyland Resort has proposed a massive expansion! The proposal, dubbed DisneylandForward, showcases a mix of new shops, hotels, parking structures and even attractions within Disneyland Resort's existing footprint, including some areas that are currently unused. If approved, the expansion would make for a toadally exciting future for the resort over the next few decades! Wanna know what else is coming to Disneyland? Check out our full post!
- Kermit the Frog has made national history! Every year, the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress recognizes songs and audio recordings “worthy of preservation for all time based on their cultural, historical or aesthetic importance in the nation’s recorded sound heritage.” Kermit's rendition of “The Rainbow Connection,” written by Paul Williams and Kenneth Ascher, was included in the National Recording Registry Class of 2020 along with other iconic recordings by Janet Jackson, Kool & the Gang, Labelle, Jackson Browne, Nas, Louis Armstrong and many others. From one frog to another, congratulations!
- Ready some new, friendly competition among your frog squad? Riptide Race, an all-new, dueling water slide at Aquatica Orlando, will open to the public April 3! Pass members can get early access to the attraction April 1 and 2.
- Parts of the Lower Lot are now open for Universal Studios Hollywood's Taste of Universal event! Jurassic Cafe is roaring into the event, including a special menu just for the occasion, and Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are rolling out. Interested in what else is offered at this limited-time event? Check out Tad's video above!
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.