Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- A new castle stage show is coming to Magic Kingdom this summer. "Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire" will bring Mickey and his classic pals together for a celebration of friendship, set to songs from "Princess and the Frog," "Tangled" and "Frozen." Look for Princess Tiana, Naveen, Louis, Olaf, Anna, Elsa, Rapunzel and that dreamy Flynn Rider. The new show will replace Dream Along with Mickey, which has run for nearly 10 years. Its last show is scheduled for April 2. While the nostalgic among you may be sad about Dream Along's departure, the new show sounds like it will be a ton of fun to sing along to!
- Busch Gardens Tampa's coming coaster, Cobra's Curse, will include an air-conditioned queue with a multi-level snake exhibit, featuring Jameson's mambas, Angolan pythons and rhinoceros and gabon vipers. This spinning coaster will take guests up 70 feet before letting them spin randomly based on the weight distribution of riders.
- SeaWorld Orlando unveiled the lead ride car on its newest coaster, Mako, set to debut this summer. The car will have five gills, just like the particular species of shark the coaster is named after. The cars will have lap guards only—no shoulder restraints—and will sit four side by side, with seven cars to each train.
- There's soon to be a new character at Disney's Hollywood Studios, arriving just ahead of his favorite season—summer! Olaf will be ready for fun in the sun and warm hugs from the little ones later this spring. You can also join Mickey and Minnie just off Commissary Lane. Minnie is a tinseltown starlet, but you'll be getting the red carpet treatment when you meet her. Mickey will be nearby in his sorcerer's apprentice role from "Fantasia."
- This year's Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival hasn't yet begun (check out our preview), but it's still not too early to get a jump on plans to visit Epcot's Food & Wine Festival. The 2016 dates have been announced for Sept. 14 through Nov. 14.
- It's going to be a star-studded affair this Sunday for the televised airing of "The Wonderful World of Disney: Disneyland 60." Sir Elton John, Harrison Ford, Kristen Bell, Sofia Carson, Idina Menzel and many, many others will take part in the spectacular that airs on ABC at 8 p.m. Eastern.
- LEGOLAND Florida is adding a new hands-on fun area to its water park. Build-A-Boat and Imagination Station inside Creative Cove will allow little ones to build bridges, dams and, of course, boats!
- The menu for for Three Broomsticks inside Universal Studios Hollywood's coming Wizarding World has been revealed ! It mirrors the Universal Orlando menu fairly closely, but with a few additions such as English Ale and Cheese Soup and Beef Sunday Roast. Of course, there will be Butterbeer, but even better—a Butterbeer Potted Cream!
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.