Whenever you visit SeaWorld San Diego, chances are there is a fun event hoppening in the park! The SeaWorld San Diego events bring special entertainment, splashing good fun and seasonal food and drink to the aquatic theme park. We frogs love that SeaWorld always gives us a reason to celebrate.
All of the events are included in the cost of admission, although food and beverage (and sometimes special offerings) are extra. (Psst ... you can save money when you purchase discount SeaWorld San Diego tickets and parking through Undercover Tourist, including all-day dining.) If you happen to have a Fun Card or annual pass, the events are included.
SeaWorld San Diego has confirmed the return and dates for some Frog Family favorite events through 2022. It’s frogciting to see SeaWorld continue these events, keeping the entertainment and food new and fresh. Keep hopping back as each event gets closer for the fin-tastic details, specific dates and even menus!
We have frogciting news! New events are here in 2022, such as Mardi Gras in February and Viva La Música in May. A few new SeaWorld San Diego events hoppened in 2021 as well and will return in 2022, including the all-new SeaWorld Howl-O-Scream! We will continue to update this post as dates and details are announced.
SeaWorld San Diego Events in 2022
On a recent visit, we noticed the SeaWorld San Diego events signs for 2022! Here's what's in store for 2022.
SeaWord Inside Look — Saturdays and Sundays Jan. 8–30, 2022.
This event gives you the chance to meet the SeaWorld team and hear their personal stories about caring for the animals and their life-saving work. Animals, caregivers and activities can vary each day.
Mardi Gras — Saturday and Sundays Feb. 5 – 27, 2022, as well as Feb. 18 and 21 (New!)
Get your beads on and celebrate new Orleans style. Enjoy live music, colorful costumes and Creole or Cajun favorite foods. Keep an eye out for a parade, DJ, performers, a music-activated tunnel of lights and fireworks on select nights.
Emperor Coaster — Now Open as of March 12, 2022
This new coaster made a splash just in time for spring break. Our tween Tad's happy feet are swinging with frogcitement for this new floorless penguin-themed dive coaster. He rode it four times opening weekend. With top speeds over 60 mph and a dive plunge over 150 feet (and over 90 degrees), this is the tallest and fastest dive coaster in California. After all, it makes sense, as the emperor penguin is the tallest of all of the penguins.
This coaster has amazing views of the city of San Diego and Mission Bay as you climb and crest the hill. Then you turn and find yourself gazing straight out at the ocean! Just after you go over the edge, you pause and stare down at the beyond vertical drop, saying you are brave enough to keep your eyes open! The front row has the most thrilling scenery of all! And since the coaster seats six across, one-third of the vehicle has a front-row view! Then you swoop down for a really smooth and looping ride, kind of like a penguin gliding through water. But you won't get wet on this thrill ride.
Sesame Place Opening — March 26, 2022
Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street? An all-new theme park opens about 20 miles southeast of SeaWorld San Diego. Sesame Place San Diego will feature seven Sesame Street-themed rides, an interactive musical play area, and 11 water attractions including one of the largest wave pools in Southern California.
Seven Seas Food Festival — Select dates March 4 through May 1, 2022
This popular event returns in 2022! During select Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in the spring, sample your way around the world with 125 exciting flavors and local and international craft beers. You can even catch live musical performances and Polynesian fire dancing presentations on select days. You can purchase items individually or buy a Food & Beverage Sampler Lanyard.
The lanyards offer 10 food or beverage tastings for $65 or 15 for $80. The pass can help you save money. Pass members can buy an 18 item card for $80. You can buy online or in the park. Each punch is good for one food item, brew, wine, cocktail or nonalcoholic beverage. Cocktails are small, but at some locations you can get a larger drink for two punches. You can share a lanyard with a friend.
Keep in mind that some booths may be closed on Fridays. The full event and entertainment takes place on Saturday and Sunday. But Fridays still have plenty of tastes and the lowest crowd levels.
Enjoy flavors from:
- The Mediterranean
- The Caribbean
- Craft beers from local breweries
- Beers from featured domestic and international breweries
- Cocktails from around the world
Pick up the SeaWorld Seven Seas Food Festival event guide and map when you arrive. You can identify gluten-free, vegetarian or vegan items there. Festival foods are available at food booths and some dining or beverage locations in the park.
The festival brings a lot of foodies into the park, which can increase crowds. You'll want to arrive for shows about 30 minutes early to get a seat. If you are visiting during spring break, you may catch fireworks on the weekends!
Viva La Música — May 7 – 29, 2022 (New!)
This new festive, family-friendly celebration will have you dancing to the hottest music and sampling fiery flavors.
Electric Ocean — Daily June 18 through Aug. 14, 2022 (beginning at 4 p.m.)
Come summer, Electric Ocean powers the evening at this family-friendly event. You can immerse yourself in the worlds of light and music with special entertainment and decor, including:
- Club Sea Glow — With a DJ and fireworks finale
- Ignite Fireworks — A fireworks spectacular that brings the brilliant colors of the sea to the skies above the park. Check the park schedule for updates (plus larger shows for 4th of July weekend).
- Glow Bar — An outdoor lounge for 21+
- Anemone Avenue — Vibrant inflatable anemones lead the way to Club Sea Glow, Dazzling special effects include projection mapping, RGB Blossoms, haze, bubbles and concert lighting!
- Moon Jellyfish Canopy (All-New!)
- Electric Floating Acts — Imaginative characters, artists, acrobats and entertainers roam throughout the park on select dates starting in July.
- Cirque Neon World — This theatrical production features a mixture of circus skills, dance and athletic stage performance connected with world-beat music, elaborate sets, brilliant costumes and sensational makeup. (Select dates starting in July.)
- Let's Play Together — During the day, join Elmo, Grover, Abby Cadabby, Rosita and Cookie Monster as they play, sing, and dance while learning about the wonderful things that friends do together.
- Laser Reef Light Show — A canopy of laser beams submerges guests below in rays of color and a powerful soundtrack.
- School of Glow — Dancing waves of RGB fish and bubbles that swim along to an electronic playlist.
- Sea of Life — Glittery fish sculptures located on Dolphin Hill seem to swim through the landscaping. Programmed lights add movement making it seem as if the fish have come to life!
4th of July Weekend 2021
Enjoy magnificent fireworks displays and much more.
SeaWorld Craft Beer Festival — Weekends (plus Labor Day) Aug. 19 through Sept. 11, 2022
C'mon get hoppy with over 100 local and domestic brews at the all-new Craft Beer Festival. Pick up a festival sampling lanyard to taste 8 to 12 food items and beverages.
SeaWorld Spooktacular — Weekends Sept. 16 through Oct. 31, 2022
SeaWorld Spooktacular takes place on weekends in September and October. All guests may wear costumes and eat fall treats. Plus tadpoles 12 and under can trick or treat for candy, boogie at special dance parties, meet characters, and decorate Halloween and fall treats. Hop over to our post on all of the Spooktacular fun at SeaWorld San Diego to learn more.
SeaWorld Howl-O-Scream — Separately ticketed event select nights Sept. 16 through Oct. 31, 2022
Bring the tadpoles to Halloween Spooktacular during the day and yourself and teens to Howl-O-Scream at night. As huge horror fans of Knott's Scary Farm and Universal Studios Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights, Leap and I are hopping with excitement for this new (it lunged out in 2021) SoCal Halloween event.
Here are the scary details for this gory nighttime new event. With three haunted houses, seven scare zones and four roaming haunts, there is no place to hide! You'll also encounter a terrifying dance show, zombie DJs and party zones with sinister cocktails and concoctions at haunted bars. These spirits are restless! Dates were added to this popular event in 2021 The event kicks off at 7 p.m. and you can enter SeaWorld as early as 5 p.m.
Red, White & Blue Salute — Nov. 1 – 13, 2022
This patriotic event honors our military. Active Duty and veterans and up to three dependents may enjoy complimentary admission to SeaWorld during this limited-time promotion. SeaWorld honors members of the military and veterans during a pre-presentation before the Orca Encounter show.
On select days around Veterans Day, pick up a free Heroes Trail sticker map at one of several booths located in the park. Explore all of the booths to collect up to nine Armed Forces (and other hero) stickers! Mark each location on your map with the correct hero sticker. Once you’ve found them all, bring your completed Heroes Trail map to the SeaWorld Store to collect a special prize!
SeaWorld Christmas Celebration — Nov. 12, 2022, through Jan. 1, 2023)
Ring in the holiday season at SeaWorld San Diego’s Christmas celebration. The park is decorated merrily and “otterly” bright. There are plenty of opportunities for photo-ops, especially in the Tunnel of Light. Meet characters and Santa from a safe distance, enjoy holiday treats and beverages and watch special holiday shows with dolphins and sea lions.
Here's what to expect:
- Rudolph's Movie Experience — Introduced in 2020, you can watch a shortened version of the holiday classic with Rudolph's Movie Experience on a 150-foot outdoor screen (after dark).
- Meet Rudolph and friends
- Sesame Street Christmas Village — Take physically distant photos with characters in their holiday attire.
- Santa's Circus Show (New!)
- Snowfall at Jingle Bell Square (New!)
- Elmo's Christmas Wish Show (New!)
- Santa's Cottage
- Animal Presentations with a Holiday Twist
- A 30-foot Christmas tree (lighting at 5 p.m.)
- Tunnel of Lights with over 5,000 music-activated lights
- Hanukkah Celebration menorah lighting
- Kwanzaa Festivities
- Holiday shopping at the Christmas Shoppe, Holly Jolly Marketplace and other stores
- Amazing animal exhibits
- Fireworks on select nights.
Activities with an additional cost include:
- Reindeer Round-Up Scavenger Hunt — Purchase a scavenger hunt map and embark on a merry quest to find Santa's gifts for all eight reindeer. Bring your completed map to the SeaWorld Store to collect a gift of your own!
- Photos with Santa
- Holiday cocktails, craft beer, hot chocolate and more
- Festive entrees and desserts
- Holiday Brunch with Elmo
- Christmas Cookies with Cookie Monster
Keep hopping back for specific dates, details and updates as these events approach. If you are looking to save money on discount SeaWorld San Diego tickets, passes or Fun Cards (for multi-day fun) and even to save a little green on parking, your favorite froggies are here to help! We also can help you decide where to stay in San Diego and help you hop on a good San Diego hotel deal.