Hey Daddy-o! The Frog Family is taking on a Disneyland After Dark event once again. Throwback Nite is returning for two nights this year, and we are more frogcited than ever! This special Nite takes guests back to the dawn of Disneyland Resort, allowing guests to take a trip down memory lane and enjoy retro-inspired entertainment, attractions, dining and decor reminiscent of the park's early days. There are so many things to see at this event and such little time to see them. With that said, let's hop into everything you need to know to fully enjoy Throwback Nite!
Overview of Throwback Nite at Disneyland
Calling all cool cats (and frogs)! The Disneyland After Dark event, Throwback Nite, has returned to Disneyland in 2023! Only the second year it has occurred at the park, this event transports guests to the debonair days of the 1950s and 1960s. Offerings for this year's Throwback Nite event can be found on the Disneyland app. (Make sure to search for Throwback Nite in the app.)
With a ticket to this after-hours event, you can enjoy a blast from Disney's classic past, with vintage live music, classic characters, unique photo opportunities, distinguished dining and plenty of nostalgic entertainment (including the first fireworks show ever held in the park). Additionally, many scrumptious eats from the park's early era are available for purchase! Ya, dig?
Throwback Nite Tickets and Dates
For two nights in April, specifically April 18 and 20, Throwback Nite festivities envelop the park! Guests can begin to enter Disneyland at 6 p.m. the day of the event (and mix with regular day guests), with the actual festivities beginning at 9 p.m. and continuing until 1 a.m. As soon as the clock strikes 8 p.m., the park closes and exclusively hosts Disneyland After Dark ticketed guests.
Tickets for this event went on sale on the Disneyland website Feb. 23, 2023. Magic Key holders were able to purchase these tickets starting Feb. 21, 2023.
Characters and Photo Locations at Throwback Nite
Get into the swing of things by posing for a photo with a classic Disney character! There are also some vintage photo backdrops inspired by the first two decades of Disneyland magic. Enjoy unlimited Disney PhotoPass digital photo downloads for some photo opportunities at the party. You can scan the QR code on your event wristband into the Disneyland app for unlimited access to photos captured during the event.
Classic Characters Meet and Greet Locations
Throwback Nite features some of the most fascinating, classic Disney characters in its entire history. You can find these early-era characters throughout the park:
Main Street, U.S.A.
- Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse (included in PhotoPass)
- Pinocchio & Friends
- Cinderella & Friends
- Aurora & Friends
- Hyacinth Hippo (from "Fantasia") (included in PhotoPass)
- Mademoiselle Upanova (from "Fantasia") (included in PhotoPass)
- Alice & Friends
- Peter Pan & Friends
- The Three Little Pigs and The Big Bad Wolf
- Mother and Father from Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress (included in PhotoPass)
- Tomorrowland Space Couple (included in PhotoPass)
- Mr. Morrow (from "Flight to the Moon") (included in PhotoPass)
Classic Photo Opportunities
Flashback to yesteryear with toadally vintage photo opportunities, centered on timeless attractions and posters, such as Skyway and Autopia and antique Disney films. These precious flicks are captured by Disney PhotoPass photographers at the party.
Here are the locations of the special photo scene opportunities and backdrops for Throwback Nite:
Main Street, U.S.A.
- Walt Disney's Disneyland Park
- Disneyland Marquee
- Mighty Microscope
- People Mover
- Rainbow Caverns Mine Train
New Orleans Square
- Disneyland Railroad
Throwback Nite Attire
Arrive in style, sporting the most dapper attire around for this party of the past! Guests can dress up or down for this event but must keep in mind Disney's specific costume guidelines when putting an ensemble together for this night.
Disneyland After Dark costume guidelines:
- Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground (e.g., full-length dresses).
- Costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
- All guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other guests.
- Costumes may not contain any items that resemble (or could easily be mistaken for) an actual weapon.
- Costumes may not contain sharp/pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another guest.
- Layered costumes or props surrounding the entire body are strongly discouraged and may be subject to additional security screening.
For Guests Ages 13 and Under
Costumes may be worn, as well as some masks, as long as the entire face isn’t covered and the eyes are visible.
For Guests Ages 14 and Older
For adults and teens, keep safety and good judgment in mind and adhere to these guidelines:
- Capes cannot go below the waist.
- Themed T-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts and hats are permitted.
- Acceptable accessories include transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords and tutus.
- Headwear may not cover the face.
- No masks of any kind, except for medical purposes.
These rules only apply during event hours (and mix-in time when you're allowed to enter the park three hours early for the event). Standard theme park attire rules apply during all other times. All rules, regulations and guidelines are subject to change without notice. If you don't adhere to the guidelines, Disney may remove you from the event, unless you can modify the costume to meet the above standards.
Entertainment at Throwback Nite
Bask in the night with a variety of musical entertainment at Throwback Nite. Dance parties and DJs will make you do the mashed potato. You can also bunny hop to the beat of the live bands and musicians inspired by the era.
Take the time to gaze upon the nighttime fireworks spectacular “Fantasy in the Sky,” which is the same show that first illuminated the park in 1957! This show happens once at 9:30 p.m. If you want to catch this show, the best viewing spot is from the Rivers of America. Grab a spot near the water with ample time before the show starts, as there is only one showtime and it is only about five minutes long.
In 2018, the event enlisted the musical talents of the Dapper Dans, Tupua, Atlantic City Boys and more. There was also a Musical Riverboat Cruise show and frogcinating exhibits, such as Circa Vision and Skyway Bucket.
This year, a Mariachi Espectacular takes place at Zocalo Park in Frontierland at 9 p.m., 10:15 p.m., 11:15 p.m. and 12:15 a.m. Swing Dancing also occurs at the Royal Theatre in Fantasyland at 9 p.m., 10 p.m., 11 p.m. and 12 a.m. Be ready to dance the night away!
Dining at Throwback Nite
Indulge in delicious delicacies from the Golden Age during Throwback Nite. Don't froget to snack like it's 1955 with treats from the park’s early days, made once again just for this event!
Here is a list of treats that are available during the event and where to get them:
- Circus Pretzel
- Main Street Sunrise Drink
Jolly Holiday Bakery & Café
- Jelly-filled Donut
- Baked Pineapple & Ham Toasted Sandwich
- Sundae Cupcake
Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor
- Espresso Cookie Sandwich
- Home-style Meatloaf Dinner (Plaza Inn)
The Tropical Hideaway
- Tropical Punch Dole Whip Float
Blue Bayou Restaurant (reservations recommended)
- Monte Cristo Fritters
- Cuban Slider
- Escabeche (plant-based)
- Ahi Tartare
- Chicken Gumbo
- Young Coconut
- Zombie Cocktail
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Apple Spice Milk
This is a perfect combination for those with a sweet tooth and a love of nostalgic treats!
Hungry Bear Restaurant
- Reuben Burger
- Impossible Sloppy Joe Fries (plant-based)
- Glitter and Gold Funnel Cake
Rancho Del Zocalo Restaurante
- Ta-cup Trio
The Golden Horseshoe
- Bacon Caramel Sundae
Stage Door Cafe
- "So, a Taco went for a Walk..."
- Float Funnel Cake
Red Rose Taverne
- Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Patty Melt Loaded Bites
- BLT Flatbread
- Orange-Vanilla Cream Soda
We absolutely loved the Orange-Vanilla Cream Soda! It was our frog favorite treat in the entire event! Its sweetness is not too overpowering, and it even comes with an adorable orange slice gummy.
- PB&J Burger
- Orange Vanilla-Cream Soda
Castle Hub, Tomorrowland & Frontierland Churro Carts
- Root Beer Float Churro with Root-Beer flavored Sugar and Vanilla Ice Cream Drizzle
New Orleans Square & Critter Country Churro Carts
- Glitter and Gold Churro with Banana Pudding, Peanut Butter Sauce and Gold-coated Bacon Bits
Fantasyland & "it's a small world" Churro Carts
- Milk & Cookie Churro rolled in Cookie-flavored Sugar served with Condensed Milk Dipping Sauce
Attractions Open for Throwback Nite
In 2023, Throwback Nite guests can enjoy after-hours access to iconic Disneyland attractions such as Peter Pan’s Flight, Pirates of the Caribbean and Jungle Cruise! This year, however, some attractions are operating during this event, such as Indiana Jones Adventure, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Mickey's Toontown Area and Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
Throwback Nite Merchandise
For Throwback Nite, each ticketed guest receives a complimentary commemorative map and lanyard with credentials. How frogciting!
There is special event merchandise available at The Star Trader, Disney Showcase, Emporium and Pioneer Mercantile. Make sure to get your special event merchandise early in the night, before it sells out.
You can also receive a free keepsake if you're a Magic Key holder. Stop by Critter Country to collect this special gift.
Tips for Throwback Nite at Disneyland
Here are some tips to maximize your time at Throwback Nite:
- Arrive early (use those early three hours to visit attractions that close early or to eat).
- Dress for the weather (it can get chilly or wet).
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Eat a meal early, or eat between 8 and 9 p.m.
- Mobile order food for the party in advance. Do not arrive for food until you receive the notification that it is ready. We have found mobile ordering to be slow on party nights.
- Make a list of your must-see activities in advance, since time flies once the party begins.
- Find out if a line to meet a character cuts off before the end of the night so you do not miss out on your meet and greet.
- If you hoppen to be in a line when the park closes, you can stay in line.
- Get all of your shopping done early in the evening. The stores all close at 1 a.m. and special event memorabilia sells out extremely quickly (within the first hour or two o the night).
- Consider staying on-site or in a hotel close by so you can get to bed as soon as possible after the party ends.
- For significantly shorter wait times, get on rides near the end of the night when lots of people start to leave the event
- Access the event guide in the Disneyland app for easy access to all of the important event information. You can even download the event and food guide to your phone, in case your internet connection isn't the strongest while at the park.
- Magic Key holders can stop by the Magic Key destination, near Pooh Corner, for a special keepsake.
Are you attending Throwback Nite this year? Let us know your plans in the comments! While we don't currently sell tickets to the Disneyland After Dark events, we do have some hoppin' deals on hotel stays and multi-day Disneyland theme park tickets.
Related: What to Expect at Disneyland After Dark Parties