Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here are this week’s theme park highlights:
- Universal Studios Hollywood is bringing in the next generation. According to Foursquare CEO Jeff Glueck, millennials made up almost half of its entire attendance in the last two years. Check-ins and background data from Foursquare showed that the park's market share nearly doubled with the opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter this past April. It saw another spike again with the opening of The Walking Dead Attraction. And if you haven't seen it yet, we've got the full scoop on surviving the Walking Dead walk-through, especially if you've got tadpoles.
- The Orlando Sentinel went behind the scenes at the Universal Orlando Resort's brand new Skull Island and chatted with executive producer Mike West about the newest ride at Universal's Islands of Adventure.
- The Disney Parks Blog shared its first look at the AbracadabraBar, coming soon to Disney's BoardWalk entertainment area. While the magicians of the 20th century who frequented the lounge vanished long ago, their magic lives on.
- It's a new week, so it's time to learn about a new Disney Springs restaurant. The Polite Pig, opening in spring 2017, will feature wood-fired smoked and grilled items.
- SeaWorld Orlando is introducing its brand-new Summer Soak Party today through Aug. 14 that will be a hit with us frogs and our human friends. At Bayside Stadium, guests can play in the sprinklers and rain curtain, enjoy music and partake in cold treats.
- Happy birthday, Disneyland! The resort celebrated its 61st anniversary this past week, with the Disneyland Band leading the "Happiest March on Earth" down Main Street U.S.A. along with 61 Disney characters.
- For those of you who just wouldn't dream of visiting Disneyland without their Starbucks fix, the good news is that there are now two locations in the Downtown Disney District.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our Orlando Planning Guide.