Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
- A three-day event specifically made for tadpoles, Disney Junior & Friends Playdate will take place at Disneyland Resort from Aug. 18-20, 2023! This special event will bring to life the magical, musical stories from Disney Junior's hit series. Kicking off at Disney California Adventure Park, guests can enjoy a Playdate Party featuring many beloved characters, a "Spidey and his Amazing Friends" photo wall at the Hollywood Backlot, the debut of a new Disney Junior short-form series "Playdate with Winnie the Pooh" and many other experiences. New unfrogettable entertainment will also pop up in Downtown Disney District.
- In 2024, Universal Orlando Resort will offer an array of new entertainment experiences for guests to enjoy — most notably a new DreamWorks Animation-themed land! Featuring beloved animated characters from DreamWorks Animation films, such as Shrek, Po from "Kung Fu Panda" and Branch and Poppy from "Trolls" (to name a few), this immersive area will contain brand-new interactive experiences and attractions.
- It's official! San Fransokyo Square at Disney California Adventure Park will fully open later this summer on Aug. 31, 2023. In the new area, inspired by the movie "Big Hero 6!", park guests will have the opportunity to meet Baymax and his friends, create contraptions, shop unique merchandise, enjoy new Japanese fusion foods and more!
- Disney Parks recently announced additional details about the backstory behind the Adventureland Treehouse, which is currently under renovation in Disneyland Park. Once it opens to the public, the Adventureland Treehouse will pay homage to the original treehouse that Walt Disney and his Imagineers built in 1962 for the film, "Swiss Family Robinson" — with a fresh twist. It will provide elaborate views along the Jungle River, as well as detailed rooms inspired by the family, including the mother's music den, the young sons' nature room, the teenage daughter's astronomer's loft and the father's art studio.
- Theme park fans are in for a treat! In 2026, an all-new theme park is set to open in northeastern Oklahoma. Named American Heartland Theme Park, the 125-acre theme park will form part of a larger resort described as an "Americana-themed environment" complete with live shows, food and drink locations and rides. The property is also expected to include a campground and an indoor water park. How frogciting!
- Calling all foodies! Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort is welcoming a new Indian restaurant later this year. "Chopped" judge Maneet Chauhan and her husband, the owners of the upcoming business, describe the project as a "modern, fun Indian-inspired concept." Details about the exact timeline and location of the new eatery remain unknown but stay tuned, froggy friends!
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.